EVO All Evo Model Discussion

96 EVO oil leak under rear jug

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 12:14 PM
Jappling49
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 EVO oil leak under rear jug

I have a 1996 FLHTCUI Shriner Bike that I notices last week that there was an oil leak under the rear jug at the rear outside corner of the jug. I also noticed that once the motor gets to normal running temp the leak is not there. I have read the threads about leaks is there anyway I can fix it without having to remove the engine from the bike? Or can I take the jug off and replace the gasket while it is still mounted to the frame?

Old 09-28-2012, 12:23 PM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Have you identified the exact area of the leak? Is it at the base of the cylinder, the head gasket or the rockerbox area? At any rate there is no reason to pull the motor...all can be repaired in the frame.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:26 PM
jokenroll
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you would also have to replace the studs for the "latest design" to fix the leak for good - get them at harley or S&S.
And you can do it while in the frame.
But, I personally wouldn't bother till it's time to redo/rebore the jugs. Just add oil

Old 09-28-2012, 12:47 PM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member

We are talking Evo's here and they will not require a re-bore for at least 100,000 miles...I'm not putting up with oil leaks and the associated mess for that period of time. I have a rocker box leak myself on my '97 which I will be correcting shortly.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:49 PM
machinehed
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a line of oil additives that are formulated to reswell weeping orings and fiber type gaskets .
Worth a try.?

Old 09-29-2012, 06:18 PM
Jappling49
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok my 96 evo has only 59000 miles on it and I Can see the weeping of the oil on the back left corner of the back jug. What oil additives can I add?

Old 09-29-2012, 06:50 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,744 Likes on 18,543 Posts

Yes you can fix it while the engine is in the frame .... Yes it's the base gasket seeping/leaking ... yes it's pretty common on the EVO's ... Most often you can just replace the base gaskets and resolve the problem .... I've done several this way and have never had a problem after ... I would HIGHLY recommend that you let the scooter warmp up before you take off whenever the bike is cold ... This seems to help a great deal in keeping the gasket from leaking again ... Good Luck Brother!

Old 09-29-2012, 07:40 PM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jappling49
Ok my 96 evo has only 59000 miles on it and I Can see the weeping of the oil on the back left corner of the back jug. What oil additives can I add?
I would forget the snake oil and just go ahead and do a proper repair.

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Yes you can fix it while the engine is in the frame .... Yes it's the base gasket seeping/leaking ... yes it's pretty common on the EVO's ... Most often you can just replace the base gaskets and resolve the problem .... I've done several this way and have never had a problem after ... I would HIGHLY recommend that you let the scooter warmp up before you take off whenever the bike is cold ... This seems to help a great deal in keeping the gasket from leaking again ... Good Luck Brother!
I don't think the OP has said for certain where his leak is at to this point.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:30 PM
machinehed
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default oil additives.

I offered this sugggestion as it worked for me with car motors .
You can take it or leave it as only a suggestion.
If interested , go to any automotive parts supply shop and describe your condition , they will guide you to the appropriate snake oil in a can.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:48 PM
Jethro
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 1996 FLHTCUI Shriner Bike that I notices last week that there was an oil leak under the rear jug at the rear outside corner of the jug. I also noticed that once the motor gets to normal running temp the leak is not there. I have read the threads about leaks is there anyway I can fix it without having to remove the engine from the bike? Or can I take the jug off and replace the gasket while it is still mounted to the frame?
Hey, bud. I have a 95 and had the same problem. My leak was from the base cylinder gasket leaking. Common on the EVO. The gasket from the factory was a THIN paper gasket. I had about 60,000 miles at the time. If you determine this is the case, then you can replace the gasket pretty easily. Get a service manual, and read through the steps to remove the cylinder head. At that point, you will be in a position to lift the cylinders off the crankcase high enough to remove the wrist pin clips and wrist pins and lift the entire cylinder assembly off WITH the pistons still inside. Then, I suggest using a COMETIC base cylinder gasket. Reassemble. Make sure and cover up the crank with clean rags when doing this just incase something like a wrist pin clip gets away from you. Every seal you open needs to be replace, from rocker box gaskets to exhaust gaskets. Just buy a good top end seal kit.

There are a LOT of posts on this with detailed instructions. I can probably do this in a day now, but I would bet some here can have it out in hours

Quick Reply: 96 EVO oil leak under rear jug