1986 EVO clutch adjuster plate

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 10:25 AM
tonycap
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question 1986 EVO clutch adjuster plate

He all,
I have replaced my clutch pack on my 1986 FLST and reading the manual it says there are 3 settings on the clutch adjuster plate that I can use when I screw it back on to the pressure plate. They are A, B and C.
I was wondering if anyone know what the purpose of these settings are and which setting would be best.
Also when I adjust the clutch I have read that I need to seat the adjuster screw (should this be seated lightly or firmly) and then I need to back it out 1/2 a turn but some places say 3/4 of a turn and even 1 whole turn....which one would be correct?

Any help on these would be greatly appreciated..

Old 05-02-2013, 10:29 AM
tonycap
Advanced
Default Picture of adjuster plate

This is a picture of adjuster plate and you can see the A, B and C where one of the screws goes through the plate. It is set on A in this picture.

Attached Thumbnails 1986 EVO clutch adjuster plate-clutch-adjuster-plate-sm.jpg  
Old 05-02-2013, 10:42 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,706 Likes on 1,343 Posts

You need to get a straight edge and some feeler gauges or a caliper out to set that. Look in the factory shop manual.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:12 AM
tonycap
Advanced

Thanks Dr. Hess.
I checked the shop manual and it's starting to make sense now.
To adjust the clutch the shop manual says to seat the adjuster screw and then back it off 3/4 of a turn, does this sound right?
When I seat the adjuster screw should I seat it softly or firmly?

Old 05-02-2013, 11:44 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

The adjuster screw is a separate adjustment from the plate you are talking about. The plate sets the spring tension and that is important to how the clutch will work. Too tight and you will break clutch fingers, in my experience. The adjuster screw you are referring to is part of the cable system, really. You set the cable about middle or so at the top of the transmission where it screws in, then screw in the adjuster screw until you take all the slack out of the clutch lever on the handlebar, then back it off 3/4 turn. It isn't all that critical, as you will really do the final adjustment at the top of the transmission to get the lever to have the proper amount of free play.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:18 PM
tonycap
Advanced

On my bike the adjuster screw is in the primary (where the adjuster plate is) and the clutch cable does not screw in to the transmission but slips in to a clutch release lever that is attached to the transmission.
The clutch cable goes directly from the hand lever to the clutch release lever on the transmission and there is no adjuster on the cable. Hope that makes sense?

Attached Thumbnails 1986 EVO clutch adjuster plate-clutch-adjuster-plate-sm-copy.jpg   1986 EVO clutch adjuster plate-clutch-release-lever-sm.jpg  
Old 05-02-2013, 12:46 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

I am familiar with the 1986 clutch adjustment. You're still missing the other clutch adjustment at the bracket down behind #2 cylinder.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:06 PM
Kushman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After you have removed the cable from the arm on top of the trans. you will need to put a strait edge across the clutch hub in pic.1 and use a feeler gauge to ensure it is within spec. according to the manual. Tension on the round spring can be changed by removing the bolts and rotating the hub to another letter. You must check the hub to spring clearance (and follow the manual when loosening and tightening the bolts) or your clutch will not be adjusted.
Next you loosen the adjuster lock nut and using a allen key bring the adjuster out and then back in to lightly seat, back off 1/2-3/4 but not more then one turn, be sure to use the allen key to hold the adjuster in place while tightening.
Now you can put the cable back on and adjust to spec using the screw adjuster that is in back of #2 piston mounted to the trans.
There are a lot of good vids on youtube that show how to adjust the cable as well.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:39 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

i run my clutch on my 85 on the letter A and i back the adjuster screw out about 3/8 of a turn.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:23 AM
tonycap
Advanced

Thanks to all for the help.
Does the adjuster plate bolt hole (the one with the letter on it) need to be screwed in to a particular hole of the clutch hub or does this not matter as long as I get the diaphragm spring flat within 0.01inch tolerance?

Quick Reply: 1986 EVO clutch adjuster plate