EVO All Evo Model Discussion

More creative wiring: Fender Tip brake light

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 04:31 PM
D1gger
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default More creative wiring: Fender Tip brake light

I recently purchased the Custom Dynamics LED red rear fender tip dual-intensity running/brake light for Ruby to add a little more brake warning(as if the LED bar light and brightasslight tail light weren't enough).

I tried to follow the directions, but there were no pics, only a written description of what I should find and of course it didn't make any sense because it didn't match the older evo.

I was supposed to pull the tail light housing and find a connector block. WRONG! no connector block and the tail light housing is not easily removeable. Also my tip light only had 1 wire coming off it's socket, not two as expected from the description. I tried just plugging the LED board into the socket and it worked, sort of.

It would come on with the running lights, but in high-intensity mode as if I were on the brakes. I made a call to customer service and they had a technician call me back. Here's what we figured out:

The black wire on the included harness did not need to be used at all. I needed to cut the red wire going to the tip light, and connect the red wire from the tip to the lone red wire from the module's base. Then I needed to connect the white wire from the top of the module to the red wire going into the harness(the other end of the one I just cut). Now I have the tip light coming on in running light mode with the running lights.

Next I have to splice the red wire from the top of the module to tap into the red wire going to the brake light housing to feed the tip light brake light voltage so it will change to the high-intensity brightness when I hit the brakes. This is a pain in the rear since I am laying on the ground under the back of my bike trying to reach up with limited space because the tire's in the way to solidly and precisely connect in this wire. Then I have to waterproof it well since it will be catching road spray and debris off the tire.

I'm not having much fun with this, but I'm sure I will LOVE the results.Heading back to the garage. Wish me luck!

Old 06-25-2013, 05:26 PM
D1gger
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's some pics. Not the greatest, but you get the idea...

Running lights:

Brake lights:

Let's try it without the flash...
Running:

Brake:

The people behind me ought to know when I hit the brakes now! LOL!

Old 06-27-2013, 10:46 PM
cowboy 51
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good , theres a place here in TX that makes corner lights in LED for your T pack as well , I had some in my 03 E glide ,the back lite up like a christmas tree on the 4th of july , I see ifi can find there card & post the link to them very good prices & he rides so when you call him he know 's what going on

Old 06-28-2013, 10:25 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm seeing spots now , thanks

Old 06-30-2013, 09:44 PM
cowboy 51
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ride time technology .com is the place I was talking about

Old 06-30-2013, 09:47 PM
D1gger