EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Am I getting the "click of death?"

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 06:42 AM
watindes
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Am I getting the "click of death?"

Went out to the bike, started it and it cranked for awhile and than I heard a clickclickclickclick like it had a bad starter, than it cranked normally again. The battery cables are new, I thought I saw some blue smoke on the primary side (electrical smoke) but cant be certain. I was thinking of pulling off the solenoid as the dealer said they replaced the starter (it has been about a year and a half). I was going to disassemble the solenoid and see what I can't see. Everything is charging normally since it is intermittent I am trying to figure out what would click.....the starter or the solenoid?

Thank you

Jesse

Old 09-29-2013, 06:54 AM
Scratt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you check all the wires to make sure none are loose or possibly rubbing the frame?

Old 09-29-2013, 08:04 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,202 Likes on 5,397 Posts

Originally Posted by watindes
I am trying to figure out what would click.....the starter or the solenoid?

The solenoid is the most likely thing to"click", but anything that causes low voltage will cause it to do so. I would check the starter relay first. If you indeed had smoke, it is most likely the starter. Hitachi starters are notorious for the through bolts shorting out, and causing smoke.

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 09-29-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:22 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

Originally Posted by watindes
Went out to the bike, started it and it cranked for awhile and than I heard a click click click click like it had a bad starter, than it cranked normally again. The battery cables are new, I thought I saw some blue smoke on the primary side (electrical smoke) but cant be certain. I was thinking of pulling off the solenoid as the dealer said they replaced the starter (it has been about a year and a half). I was going to disassemble the solenoid and see what I can't see. Everything is charging normally since it is intermittent I am trying to figure out what would click.....the starter or the solenoid?

Thank you

Jesse
Starter 101

If it click click click click you know all is well to the solenoid which is just a big electric magnet. Until it has good 12.7 volts and enough amps to pull it to contact the big contact that turns the starter on, do not condemn the starter. It actually take more volts (not amps) to pull in then the starter needs to run. Now if it just made one click and the starter did not run, then it could be the starter or the actually big contact that starts the starter that the solenoid bumps into on the way to push in the starter sprag clutch gear. You probably have a weak battery or a bad connection at the battery or the big wire on the solenoid. This is not exactly your system but close and same principal

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:33 AM
watindes
Cruiser

What is a good way to load test the battery? I have am automotive load tester but I am not sure how to set it up for a motorcycle. The battery is almost two years old, sealed Harley battery.

Thanks

Old 09-29-2013, 08:37 AM
Scratt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 09-29-2013, 08:41 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,392 Likes on 21,384 Posts

The click of death is when you hear the sound of a shotgun slide behind you.lolol.
Very un-mistakenable.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:49 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,706 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Weak/discharged battery or bad battery cables/dirty connections. Yeah, go through the diagnostics sticky.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:29 AM
watindes
Cruiser

14v under normal operation, it has started every time for me, but the clicking sound is new, all grounds are tight cable are new. I was thinking of taking the battery out and bringing it to Harley to test just to be safe. They will do it for free (gasp).

Old 09-29-2013, 10:45 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

If you are getting a series of clicks you don't have "the dreaded click".

A series of clicks is caused by one of two things.
1 A weak battery
2 A bad solenoid

Do you have a battery tender on your bike?
If so leave it hooked up when you start your bike and if you still get the series of clicks then you have a bad solenoid if you don't you have a weak battery.

Quick Reply: Am I getting the "click of death?"