EVO All Evo Model Discussion

What next?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 01:07 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts
Default What next?

Got my '87 Evo Sloptail back together after attempting to repair the leak at the motor sprocket. No go - still leaks. I've replaced the seal twice now, and tried spring in & spring out. Also replaced the spacer as the original had a very slight groove or scratch in it. Don't know if I have a bad shaft, or cracked case, or ??? Bottom line is it still leaks. I run a belt drive semi-open primary so it just makes a mess. Loses about 1/4 to 1/2 quart a week if I ride every day. I'll get through the year with it, but am trying to decide what to do next.

Thought about an Evo crate motor from HD, but they are for '99 Evos. Guess I'll have to do some homework and see what the difference are.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:36 AM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: What next?

Don't feel bad Skip I think it has something to do with all the 87's being made under a bad phase of the moon. My 87 has been doing the same as your's since the day I got it together. Its just a drip sort of like the good old shovel drip not a lot but it does mark its spot. I'm running the same as you with the belt drive and and a vented primary cover. I always said if it ever got real bad Id pull it back apart and fix it. Well I had went out for a nice ride about a couple hundred miles and all was well, made my last stop it was around 10 miles from home and all was good but when I got home the back left side of the bike was covered with oil and only about a half a quart left in the tank. Well now at lest now it wont drip any more so I ordered a new seal pulled the bike down replaced the seal put it back together grabbed some oil filled the tank looked down and had oil all over the floor. You see when I built the bike I made the oil drain tube a bit longer then stock and I guess the last time I changed the oil I had pushed the hose back up in to far and it was rubbing on the drive belt and after some time it cut a hole in the damm hose. Oh well at lest I got the leaking sealfixed. Wrong the damm thing is still leaking Oh well its just marking its spot.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 703 Likes on 336 Posts

If memory serves me right 87 was an 1100, and 88 HD went to a 1200 Evo becuse of problems like you are describing. If you are doing a crate motor I would go with an S&S, not a HD. Just seems they have had better luck making evo's that are bulletproof.

Joe

Old 03-09-2007, 11:08 AM
fxstcguy98
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man that sucks, sounds like you have done everything short of changing the cases.Maybe you can find a low milage EVO that has been crashed for cheap and use the motor. If you are going to buy a new motor, those ones that look like old knuckle heads are pretty damn cool in my opinion.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:34 PM
scott4911
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about the HD re-man program?? I think it's only a couple thousand for an EVO..

Old 03-09-2007, 02:36 PM
twowheelsforever
Tourer

As far as I know, a 99 Evo (or Evo clone like S&S or Revtech) with fit 84 to 99 softails...

Old 03-09-2007, 03:46 PM
scott4911
Cruiser

anyone here have a RevTech?? Wondering the prices vs. S&S???

Old 03-09-2007, 03:58 PM
dgator66
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

pococj, Did you check the shaft for runout with an indicator, or roundness with a mic? My old sporty had a similar problem many moons ago. The shaft was actually worn a little where the seal contacted (rubber eating metal, go figure) and I had about 20 thousandths runout at the end of the shaft. I know it aint the same engine, but the problem sounds similar.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:23 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 78 Posts

Just from what you decribe, I'd look at the following. Is it leaking between the seal and the shaft, or is it leaking around the seal where it is pressed into the case? If it is leaking around the seal where it is pressed into the case then the steel insetr that holds the bearing into the case is what is leaking. If the case is not cracked, the real way to fix it is to dissasemble the case and replace the case half. The quick way to fix it, is to clean it with brake cleaner and use green loctite around the steel insert and the case.

If the seal is leaking at the shaft, then the shaft is worn, or the lip (spring)on the new seal is not strong enough.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:29 PM
twowheelsforever
Tourer

A buddy of mine has a shop building custom bikes, and he uses Revtech's in pretty much everything he builds. He's never had any problems, and they're definitely less expensive than S&S.

Quick Reply: What next?