EVO All Evo Model Discussion

'98 softail custom engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 09:29 PM
jennifer burton
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 softail custom engine problems

We have a 98 softail custom which has had on going problem for a long time with back firing, rough bogging idle, missing.... We have had it tested several times and have ruled out, spark plugs/wires, battery and connections, module, ignition switch. Also, we replaced the coil. We have had it re-jetted. Nothing is working to eliminate this problem. Plugs check out fine. We have the stock carb and are thinking if we should change that out??? If so...which would you recommend and will it work with the original air cleaner. Any other suggestions of problem solving would be appreciated!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks, Jennifer

[IMG]local://upfiles/27314/5433908773C44970954B2DEA14FC6386.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-19-2007, 09:57 PM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 275 Likes on 202 Posts
Default RE: '98 softail custom engine problems

Uhm....I hate to see you having problems.

It looks like you have tested and ruled out just about everything....almost, that is until the problem has been corrected.

Is the diaphram in the carburetor in good shape...no holes/tears and not deteroiated.

Check to make sure VOES is functioning properly

Check for any vacum leaks....carburetor seal on the intake manifold?

Bypass the charcol valve...this is what the fuel tank vents to instead of the atmosphere. You will see a rubber hose near the fuel cap, there should be the black plastic valve somehere probably hooked to the neck of the frame.

Another possibly....route the crankcase breather to the ground. Too much blowby being sucked into the carburetor can make it not run very good.

Try these before replacing the carburetor, because this should be last resort.....

Honestly, I had the same problems on both my Dyna's. I ended up putting the S&S Super E and the problems vanished. My mpg went up as well...

Old 03-20-2007, 01:25 PM
fxstcguy98
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: '98 softail custom engine problems

Good suggestions, I would recommend that you get a better flowing air cleaner than the stock one, that will help it run a lot better and have more power and add slip on mufflers if you don't allready have them. You will have to rejet after this, look in the DIY sections, there is lots of info on how to do this. I just put a SE ignition module on mine and it smoothed out how it drives in low RPM ranges, no more sputtering, coughing or rough idle. BTW I have an S&S too, but the original CV can be modified to work addiquately.