EVO All Evo Model Discussion
View Poll Results: Why I Own An Evolution?
Hands Down The Best Engine/Motor H-D Ever Built?
68.83%
It Was CHEAP?
25.97%
Beats The Heck Out Of Me? or What's An Evo?
5.19%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Why I Own An Evo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 12:52 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Right On!

Originally Posted by HarDlife
Because it's easier to spell evo than twinkie.

Seriously, because I am mechanical and a tinkerer by nature, and the EVO is the best platform to do such things. Also, still retains some of the original HD's "soul". The twinkies just don't have it, IMO.

If I had all the money in the world I still wouldn't buy a new(er) Harley. There still would be an EVO/shovel/pan in the garage.
Couldn't have said it better! My 1st was a 56 pan chopper in 1970. I've owned 1 of each, knuck, pan, shovel and my EVO.

My present chop is patterned off that pan, but has brakes, foot shift and other modern stuff to make the ride safer and more comfortable. Still a kicker but an easy starter.

Single cams forever!

Old 03-13-2014, 08:17 PM
hikk
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a shovelhead for several years, friend of a friend approached me about buying it, wife had been on my *** about selling it so I said what the heck and let it go. Three months later i run across a stock 98 heritage for a fair price and could not resist the urge. I do miss the shovel and the hands on needs of an older bike but i always wanted to have an evo for their strength and long term durability. Now ive got one and its pretty cool.
p.s. After bringing home the Heritage, and to keep from sharing a house with Jack our hunting dog, I had to get the wife a new camper for a not so fair price.I bet I got one of the most expensive evos'on this forum.

Last edited by hikk; 03-13-2014 at 08:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-13-2014, 08:34 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

I don't have an Evo because I can afford a decent bike...I made all that money fixing Evo's

Old 03-13-2014, 08:45 PM
RaSh
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,422 Likes on 5,534 Posts

Life got in the way, career, family, responsibility, and my dream Harley kept getting put off.

I went through a lot of major life changes at once, and during that time my 1989 FLHS became available for a great price. It was old and not babied, but I knew the history of the bike, it was a bullet proof EVO, and it was exactly what I saw in my mind's eye when I thought "My Bike.",

But I was as financially strapped as I had ever been, there was no way that I could justify getting it.

So of course I bought it.

Best decision I ever made. Going against common sense helped free me from the path that I was on that never fully satisfied. I intend to have this bike when they haul my bones away to be baked.

Might get other bikes, but this old shopworn one is special.

This one is a big F-U back at life.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:13 PM
JKay
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Growing up they were the latest model
Available and I fell in love. Fast forward 15 years and I compare the current offerings with that of the Evo and still prefer the Evo due to the user friendliness of the engine and the soul. Don't get me wrong I think the new models look good but something was just missing for me. Can't really say what

So I found me an Evo with 3k miles on the clock and haven't looked back

Old 03-13-2014, 09:54 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Spanners39
I don't have an Evo because I can afford a decent bike...I made all that money fixing Evo's

You don't own an EVO because you couldn't figure out how to go around a car instead of trying to plow through it.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:56 PM
Rabbito
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had four harley total not at one time lol. My first bike ever was a 95 883 I loved that bike but had to go bigger so I went older with a 89 electric glide classic loved that bike too up till the day I totaled it. Next bike was a twin cam 01? Deuce I think it was a good bike but just didn't have that feeling to it. Still would of kept if I didn't total my car so traded it for a 95 f250 power stroke. Now have a 96 springer and it feel great evo just have that sound to them feeling I just love evo l. And I can't afford a pan head lol

Sent from my iPhone using two left handed thumbs

Old 03-13-2014, 10:30 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Have 2 Pans and a Shovel; got my 88 Heritage Softail because I like the look, the retro styling and because they are very easy to work on and maintain...and of course the price was definitely right.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:32 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Because it's what I wanted... I'm sure in the future I'll own other bikes, but I won't own a different Harley... I grew up around these bikes, and an FX shovel or evo is what I will have if I want a harley.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:35 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
You don't own an EVO because you couldn't figure out how to go around a car instead of trying to plow through it.
That might have something to do with it.....

Quick Reply: Why I Own An Evo?