EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Schex's FXSTC

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 03:36 PM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,816 Likes on 1,760 Posts
Default Schex's FXSTC

I picked up this bike in the summer of '12, 25k miles.
It was in sorta rough shape from neglect, and subpar mechanic work.

Went through all the mechanics,,,front and rear wheels, bearings, brakes, neck bearings, forks, swingarm, primary, changed to a 70 tooth rear pulley and new belt, rear lowering kit, electrical.

Had alot of laughs uncovering some of the sad azz work previously performed throughout the bike.

I cleaned, buffed, polished, and removed a bunch of rusty add on junk as I went.

Really didn't need many parts or cost much, and not all that much time, I find this is one easy bike to work on.

She's runs down the road straight and tight, no rattles, handles great.

The only things I had left to address on the engine was the slight smoking at idle, oil fume smell, and peeling powdercoat, and find out what cam was in there, since I knew it had adjustable pushrods and ran much better than stock.
I had already staightened out the carb (S&S E)and timing issues(DynaS).

So, a couple weeks ago, finally got on it and see what I had.

Compression was 150 front and 140 rear, when I got the bike, the carb was pig rich, blowing black smoke on accel, asked the PO how long it was like that and he said 18k miles, so I thought the cyl's would be washed down and ***** out.

Well got the top end down, about ten strokes with a ball hone, and both cylinders looked great, dropped the bore gauge in them and had less than .001" out of round and taper in both jugs, stock std pistons looked great also.wow!

The heads where in decent shape too, just needed to barley touch up the seats, and I refaced the valves and cut a 30 degree back angle on them.
The guides where perfect.

Broke out the old porting burrs and resin hard rolls and blended the seats into the bowls and straightened out the castings in the ports, with minor short side radius work. No flow bench, just poke and hope.
Chunked them on the mill and was on my sixth beer of the evening, and it was 6:00pm, so took it as a sign and wacked .060" off the decks.

I completely removed all the old powdercoat from the heads and jugs by dipping them in the Zep carb cleaner.
Then they got a coat of Harley texture black spray bomb paint, preheated the oven up to 170*(lowest it goes), put them in, turned oven off till it cooled.
Then took razor blades and scraped the paint off the fin edges.

I checked the deck height with no base gaskets and was .008" out the hole, so .010 cometic base gaskets put me at .002" in the hole, and with the .030" head gaskets, gave me a squish of .032".

When I got into the cam chest, I found the EV46 that I suspected was in there and the lifters and lobes where in great condition.
but also found the breather gear missing teeth and sitting in the open position, upon further inspection, found this.

I guess those little pieces of race went staight into the breather and locked up instead of taking out the breather bore, very minor scratching on the ends, lucky.

After finding that, I removed the oil pump and found it to be in perfect condition, except for the seal being installed backwards.

With everything apart at that point, I was able to clean every oil passage in there, also removed oil tank and cleaned, and replaced hoses.

So last week I had a chance to assemble everything,
with taking .060" off the heads,.010" thinner base gaskets, and .020" thinner head gaskets, I had to shave the manifold a little to fit.

Compression is now at 180psi cranking.

Put some miles on it and it feels pretty damn good for $220 upgrade(not counting time and beverages), heck even looks good now to.

Now I have to dig out the DTT ignition I had on the bagger before I swapped to the 111, but I'll get some miles on it before I start running the dogchit out of it tinkering with the timing map.

Last edited by Schex; 03-14-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:45 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Nice! Video is private though, make it unlisted.

I kind of regret not removing the powder coat on my heads and jugs, and having the jugs powdercoated solid black and the heads silver, to resemble the look the shovels and pans had. Was running out of money though...

Old 03-14-2014, 03:49 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

Good info in there :-)

Old 03-14-2014, 03:58 PM
Schex
Supporter

The video should work now.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:01 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

It does.
What kind of pipes you got there?

Old 03-14-2014, 04:09 PM
Schex
Supporter

V&H, came with the bike.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:22 PM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 352 Posts

Suweeet!

Old 03-14-2014, 07:08 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 380 Posts

Nice work sounds great.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:13 PM
LowriderHarold
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Cool!

SWEET! Good tip on checking the deck height. Never dawned on this ole man to back figure that way.

Ride Safe,
Harold

Old 03-14-2014, 08:21 PM
HarDlife
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good work, she sounds really sweet! That was a full roller cam bearing missing a chunk?!? What happened there?

Last edited by HarDlife; 03-14-2014 at 08:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Schex's FXSTC