EVO All Evo Model Discussion

My "new" 1992 FXR Low Rider

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 04:36 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts
Default My "new" 1992 FXR Low Rider

Alright Evo gurus!! I finally found what I have been looking for...a 1992 FXR Low Rider Custom. I rode this model bike 22 years ago when I knew nothing but Honda and Moto Guzzi motorcycles...now I just know nothing in general...but I found the bike that made me fall in love with Harley's. I picked it up today and rode it 40 miles home. It runs very solid! Couldn't be happier...

Supposedly it has a cam installed when new at Bartel's HD in Venice CA, but no particular details. Whatever it is seems fairly mild. Guy I bought it from was 2nd owner. Had it about 19 years. 25,000 miles or so...like I said, very solid runner...also very clean shape. Not a single drip or leak...

That said, I have a few questions...

First the Pingle petcock...Owner never touches it, just leaves it "on", and could not remember if it had a reserve setting or just on/off...here is a pic of it's current position. Any idea what my setting are here? Don't want to run out of gas if possible..plus I'm used to shutting my petcocks off in the past...

Next is the transmission case. There appears to be a gap? No Evo's handy to compare it to. Minor weeping around gasket, but is this gap normal? warping? damage?....Trans runs perfect...but...is this normal?

Love this bike and worth the wait. Just want to figure out what it needs now besides TLC an to be ridden regularly. Hitting 80 on the freeway for extended periods had me wondering about a 6 speed which I've heard mixed opinions about...or maybe earplugs...or quieter pipes. My Dyna has V&H also, but with the cam this thing gets up there in volume pretty good by 3,000 rpm. I'll probably ride it for a few months before making any rash choices as I like the gearing of the 5 speed.

Regarding this and all the other questions, any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:40 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

also, in case anyone was wondering...apparently 19 years is the perfect break-in for a Corbin seat. This thing is the most comfortable seat I've ever had.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:55 PM
HarDlife
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats! FXR's rock, wish I had one.

You should do a 3 hole fluid change, so you know what's in there, and you can inspect the old fluid. While you have the primary fluid out service that primary cover gasket, and visually check everything out while you have the cover off.

Enjoy the new ride!

Old 06-21-2014, 05:01 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

The pingel petcock does have a reserve.

Rear position is run.

Mid position is reserve.

Forward position is off.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:15 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,743 Likes on 928 Posts

Nice bike!

Probably a paper primary gasket and it has shrunk and sucked in a little. Get a new gasket for it and swap it out while doing the 3 hole fluid change (good suggestion).

It's a good opportunity to take a peek at the clutch basket, chain, etc.

Have fun on it, someday I will pick one up as well...YD

Old 06-21-2014, 05:29 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

That gap appears on most primaries and is because the gaskets are not a perfect fit....just put a new one on my 1999 Lowrider and it has the gap from new. I sometimes fill the gap with black silicone to stop dirt and moisture ingress.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:45 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Thanks guys. I appreciate the info. Really eases my mind about the gasket, and good to know I'm running on reserve hahaha...that's what I was afraid of.

I will for sure do the three fluid step. The guy took pretty good care about it and was super obsessive, but had a few gaps in his approach...like the petcock. He was a little sad to be selling, but I promised to give it a good home.

All I can say from riding it is "wow"...this thing is like an iron bar wrapped in velvet...just SOLID, but comfortable. No rattles, no loose fittings, no frills...just pure compact business. Very satisfying. I'm loving it.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:57 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 380 Posts

Also, always shut off the petcock so gas cant wash out into crank. Mighty fine looking bike, congrats

Old 06-21-2014, 06:27 PM
Slammed-N-Senseless
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the family. No advise from me, just major kudo's on a good lookin ride! These Evo's have a lot of character and sound great, enjoy.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:43 PM
bluharley
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you in Cal or Colorado? Car in the background has CO plates.

Quick Reply: My "new" 1992 FXR Low Rider