Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 07:47 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 2,865 Posts

Originally Posted by johnod
Was anything out of whack?
Make any difference?
my thought as well - the heim joints freeze up and cause a vibe that does this - i have seen it more than once

in the shop - we replace it all as time is limited for each machine and cant be doing it again for free in 6 months -

top and bottom twin heins and the bottom cushion mount and the swing arm piviots - the rubbers are cheap and your going to set the location so all new gives you a good start on alignment

and we do not use the china crap gold colored grade 8 balsa wood bolts

we use Lawson hardware 6 strike heads

Old 08-03-2014, 08:08 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,689 Likes on 1,341 Posts

Having no direct experience with this problem, I would think that soft motor mounts could contribute to this. If I had a recurring problem like this, I would replace all the motor mounts and that heim joint and the bolts and align it, all at once.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:23 PM
johnod
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
my thought as well - the heim joints freeze up and cause a vibe that does this - i have seen it more than once

in the shop - we replace it all as time is limited for each machine and cant be doing it again for free in 6 months -

top and bottom twin heins and the bottom cushion mount and the swing arm piviots - the rubbers are cheap and your going to set the location so all new gives you a good start on alignment

You've seen the breaking bolt problem then?

Old 08-03-2014, 09:28 PM
johnod
Road Master

double post.

Last edited by johnod; 08-03-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:19 AM
Old-Evo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnjzjz

I will address the heim joints and motor mounts this winter when I have my rear belt replaced. Thanks for the info.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:45 AM
Old-Evo
Cruiser

Update: My softer grade 5 bolt lasted about 2 months, so now I'm going to install 2 M10 class 12.9 bolts. My only worry with these is they are Allen head and if I need to work on the one under the oil filter, for any reason what so ever, the filter will have to come off. Can't find for the life of me a M10 class 12.9 with a normal bolt head. However I do like the fact that they are black and not chrome.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:28 PM
johnod
Road Master

Originally Posted by Old-Evo
Update: My softer grade 5 bolt lasted about 2 months, so now I'm going to install 2 M10 class 12.9 bolts. My only worry with these is they are Allen head and if I need to work on the one under the oil filter, for any reason what so ever, the filter will have to come off. Can't find for the life of me a M10 class 12.9 with a normal bolt head. However I do like the fact that they are black and not chrome.

Any idea how many miles on the grade 5 bolts?

Something I was thinking about the stronger bolts, could they cause the mount itself to crack instead?

The bolt perhaps is no longer the weakest link.

I have no idea, just been thinking about it, I'd rather replace a bolt than have a cracked case.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:44 AM
Old-Evo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by johnod
Any idea how many miles on the grade 5 bolts?

Something I was thinking about the stronger bolts, could they cause the mount itself to crack instead?

The bolt perhaps is no longer the weakest link.

I have no idea, just been thinking about it, I'd rather replace a bolt than have a cracked case.
Sadly I didn't log my mileage but would say 800 to a 1,000 miles. I tried last night to get that M10 bolt into the hole and no go. It is such a tight fit that I could not get both parts to line up enough to get that bolt all the way down. So I put in on of my regular grade 8 bolts and will ride like that until winter when I can look at replacing the top and bottom twin heins, the bottom cushion mount, and the swing arm pivots.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:27 PM
johnod
Road Master

Thought I'd update.

Checked today and one of the grade 9 bolts is sheared, flush with the bottom of the mounting plate, ( not the case itself).

That's a made in USA grade nine bolt.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:04 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,689 Likes on 1,341 Posts

What about the swing arm pivots? Did you ever inspect or replace them? You have something out of whack here, and it isn't the motor mount bolts not being strong enough.

Quick Reply: Sheared Motor Mount bolts