EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Another Tall Guy Seat Fest! '98 RK- Low & Back With Comfort?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 11:04 PM
StreetKing2
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Another Tall Guy Seat Fest! '98 RK- Low & Back With Comfort?

Ok, I've read countless threads about seats. Problem is, they are all(mostly) about twin cams, '08 & above, so they won't fit my 1998 Evo Road King.

I need to be as low as possible(Not 'cause I'm short), & back an inch or more. I'm 6'5" with an inseam of 34/35". Most of my height is in my torso. In fact, I have an extra vertebra in my lower back than most people. I sit TALL on the bike.

Then, to top it off, I have a faring/6" windshield setup that has limited options to increase only up to 8" and no "flip" available. (Hoppe Sportzilla with 6 holes) Never, ever had a faring/windshield on my bike in 40+ years- didn't need one, but it looks good on this Street Glide "imitator", and it's good for keeping the bugs off my chest!

The bike came with some kind of "lower & back Harley seat"(only stock pan # on it) with some pieces of foam stuck in the middle on the frame. But "she" can't take the skimpy passenger seat, and although mine is fine for about an hour, my butt burns too, after that.

Plus, my teeth were chattering from the wind buffeting, but I eliminated most of that with side & center wind deflectors, as long as the "lower seat" was on.

Then I tried a new seat. I wanted a Saddlemen Explorer Special Seat, until I heard of all the workmanship & customer service problems reported here. So finally I went with a Mustang Super Touring with black studs. Nice seat, but I sat too high, & my teeth were chattering again.

I sent it back, & they talked me into the Lowdown Touring, which came the other day. I still sit too high, and now way too far forward. Bummer.

I know that the Mustang Tripper & Wide Tripper might get me a little lower, but Not back or lower much it seems.

LaPera has the Daddy Long Legs, but they themselves said that it's not lower.

Fat Bagger has their "Long Haul 2XL" which seems to be a discontinued/unavailable Danny Gray seat. "low-profile comfort...Driver’s saddle is set back 1-2" versus stock seats." How low, it doesn't say. And the "Extreme-T Ultimate 2-Up Touring Seat"(kinda pricey) that says "cupped and contoured back support for the driver and wide seat for the passenger". Doesn't say back or lowered, but it sure looks like it in the pics.

I loved the 2012 Street Glide seat I rode for hours, but "her" portion is pretty small, & it's not supposed to fit my bike anyway. If it did, I might consider sending it to Mean City Cycles or the like for a mod.

But I haven't heard from the "Evo Dudes" on this forum that may have faced the same problem as I am facing. If I missed the thread, I'm sorry for being so lame. Help a guy out, if you could. What's a good seat to put me "in the bike", back a bit, and still give hours of riding comfort to both my wife(most important) & I?

Thanks, Rick

Attached Thumbnails Another Tall Guy Seat Fest! '98 RK- Low & Back With Comfort?-20140815_193453.jpg   Another Tall Guy Seat Fest! '98 RK- Low & Back With Comfort?-20140815_193508.jpg   Another Tall Guy Seat Fest! '98 RK- Low & Back With Comfort?-20140815_193531.jpg   Another Tall Guy Seat Fest! '98 RK- Low & Back With Comfort?-20140815_193604.jpg  
Old 08-18-2014, 10:18 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

I am not as tall as you 5'11", but our inseams are close, 33". I have found the Sundowner comfortable, and the GF finally doesn't complain either.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:24 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

I have a wide touring seat from mustang.
The back seat is pretty wide and should be a lot better for a passenger.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:12 PM
StreetKing2
Intermediate

Thanks. As much as "she is most important", I have to be low enough in the bike to stop or minimize the head buffeting. (that includes "teeth chattering" & watering eyes)

I used to chuckle when the guys were talking about "poor them" because of the head buffeting. I always rode without a fairing and no windshield- even in the 'teens & 20's(degrees), windy days, 80 - 90 mph. What's the big deal? I said.

Then came the faring & windshield, & now I say, "oh, I see!" Wind buffeting is WAY worse than I imagined, & I have to DO something to minimize it.

With the fork mounted & under the the triple tree wind deflectors installed it's much better. Now for a lower seat that's "back" & "comfortable" too.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:32 AM
Old-Evo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a stock seat you could have your seat re-cut like I did on my 98 FLHTC, thru Mean City Cycle http://www.meancitycycles.com They are a sponsor on this forum. I don't have as long an inseam as you but I'll bet they have dealt with tall guys like you before. They are worth a call. They did an amazing job getting my seat fitted just for my size, with a fast turn around.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:37 AM
StreetKing2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Old-Evo
If you have a stock seat you could have your seat re-cut like I did on my 98 FLHTC, thru Mean City Cycle http://www.meancitycycles.com They are a sponsor on this forum. I don't have as long an inseam as you but I'll bet they have dealt with tall guys like you before. They are worth a call. They did an amazing job getting my seat fitted just for my size, with a fast turn around.
Thanks, I've heard some good things about them.

C & C has some good looking ones too, or they could modify mine. I wouldn't want to give mine up for weeks tho, unless I had something else to put on. I might have to wait for winter for that, since I don't ride all year anymore.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:31 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

6'5" 36" inseam. My Corbin puts me down and back.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:52 AM
StreetKing2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Beemervet
6'5" 36" inseam. My Corbin puts me down and back.
Thanks. Which one do you have? I can't quite see from your avatar. Any pics?

Old 08-21-2014, 09:29 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

I have the Solo, with an add-on rear seat when necessary,