EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Primary sprockets question

Old 09-14-2014, 09:05 AM
nyokie
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Primary sprockets question

I know most everyone is looking for the torque and drops there sprocket from 32 to 30 tooth.
I wanna go the opposite way, im looking for lower rpm at highway speed as I have more torque than i will ever need. Is there aftermarket option for a larger sprocket or so little demand they dont make but customs? And will i need a longer chain? Maybe higher tooth compensator? I have no idea the ratios I need? Dont really wanna spring for a 6 speed right now, thought sprockets would be a good alternative if available.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:07 AM
nyokie
Tourer

Btw im running about 3000 at 70mph, everything is stock drivetrain wise other than the big engine.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:48 AM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Here's a trans pulley that might do the trick. I've heard, though I've never done it, that you can get away with the same belt. Maybe someone who's made the switch will comment.

Amazon.com: Andrews Rear Belt Drive Overdrive Ratio 34 Tooth Transmission Pulley for Harley: Automotive Amazon.com: Andrews Rear Belt Drive Overdrive Ratio 34 Tooth Transmission Pulley for Harley: Automotive

Old 09-14-2014, 09:53 AM
nyokie
Tourer

thats the belt pulley eh? never thought of that but hate to have to grab a longer belt..... may fit stock one though

Old 09-14-2014, 10:36 AM
nyokie
Tourer

oh just saw you said stock belt... wrenching wise maybe easier to up number of teeth on rear pulley? only have to pull a tire rather than pull primary off

Old 09-14-2014, 10:57 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by nyokie
Btw im running about 3000 at 70mph, everything is stock drivetrain wise other than the big engine.
So - you'll be doing 140mph at 6,000rpm! You want to go even faster?! Brave man.....

You don't need a 6-speed with the extra torque you now have, so save yourself that expense. Also bear in mind that you only have two cylinders so there are limits to how much gearing can be raised and still allow the poor thing to spin smoothly. It is not wise to think of raising gearing by very much, as you will simply reduce performance and devalue your investment. Indeed there is no need to change gearing at all, your engine will be fine, just as your stock one was.

However the options for changing gearing on the belt drive are limited. On my earlier Glide the rear pulley was 61T, for the International version, otherwise I don't know of any other options. Baker make 30-34T front pulleys, but you will need a non-stock length belt for a change of more than one tooth. There are also alternative sizes of primary compensator available, although the largest I can find at present is 25T, which may only be one tooth bigger than you have at present.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:01 AM
nyokie
Tourer

Ya im hitting a dead end compensator wise, illusion motorsports (rusty coons company) was supposed to release a 27 tooth compensator sprocket with longer primary chain for about 250 which is exactly what i need but looks to have been discontinued or never released

Old 09-14-2014, 12:25 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Ya im hitting a dead end compensator wise, illusion motorsports (rusty coons company) was supposed to release a 27 tooth compensator sprocket with longer primary chain for about 250 which is exactly what i need but looks to have been discontinued or never released

Call Baker.
I think they make a 24 tooth sprocket with chain to do what you want to do.

Old 09-14-2014, 02:40 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,164 Likes on 5,391 Posts

oh just saw you said stock belt... wrenching wise maybe easier to up number of teeth on rear pulley? only have to pull a tire rather than pull primary off

You have to lower the number of teeth on the rear pulley to reduce hiway RPMs...you are not going to get one on the rear that will make any difference with the stock belt.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:00 PM
Throttle_Jockey
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can run a 34t trans pulley with the stick belt. There was a thread about it here awhile back. For what your looking the 34 would be a very cost effective swap.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Primary sprockets question