Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   EVO (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-84/)
-   -   All is quiet w/my hotrod eve (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo/1041434-all-is-quiet-w-my-hotrod-eve.html)

98hotrodfatboy 04-19-2015 03:04 PM

All is quiet w/my hotrod evo

Finally got everything figured out and back together this weekend. Took Scott's advice and got rid of the HL2T spacers and was able to adjust the pushrod properly to approximately .134" preload and took it out for a short 60 mile ride on Saturday. Sounded good and felt right, like it should. After it was hot I could just barely hear the rockers. So this morning I decided to get another flat on the adjustment and took it out again today for about 40 miles. Not a single hint of mis adjusted pushrods. The new cam pulls like a freight train especially in 4th and 5th. I didn't go over 5k don't want to push it just yet. Once i get comfortable with it I'll get her on the dyno to see the real numbers and how the new cam and Bassani pipes work. Till then ride safe all. here's a short sound clip..

texashillcountry 04-19-2015 03:26 PM

I hope you found your elusive 3hp!!!

98hotrodfatboy 04-19-2015 03:42 PM

Thanx, soon we'll find out if it was worth it.

Tom84FXST 04-19-2015 03:51 PM

Why did you not like the HL2T spacers? I installed the S&S hydraulic conversion kit for shovelheads...which uses the HL2T EVO lifters...and had a fit adjusting them...the instructions with the kit told how to adjust "normal" lifters, not the HL2T...which adjust completely different...had to search the web to find out to adjust them...real screw up on S&S's part.

98hotrodfatboy 04-19-2015 04:02 PM

They never really got quiet. the way that S&S said to adjust (1 full turn off the bottom) really didn't leave enough for when the motor was hot. Even tried another half turn no difference. Not sure as to what really happened the first time but one of the lifters did collapse and I was never able to keep it pumped up. So i got another set of S$S lifters took out the spacer"s and adjusted like normal. Maybe my build doesn't suite the spacers well... now have a better cushion for when the motor is hot. Peace and Quiet/with an Evo.....

Tom84FXST 04-19-2015 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy (Post 13933469)
the way that S&S said to adjust (1 full turn off the bottom) really didn't leave enough for when the motor was hot.

My understanding was to loosen the pushrod "off bottom" till you could turn it with your fingers...plus one full turn.

98hotrodfatboy 04-19-2015 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST (Post 13933479)
My understanding was to loosen the pushrod "off bottom" till you could turn it with your fingers...plus one full turn.

that would be correct.

D_gyver 04-19-2015 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy (Post 13933469)
They never really got quiet. the way that S&S said to adjust (1 full turn off the bottom) really didn't leave enough for when the motor was hot. Even tried another half turn no difference. Not sure as to what really happened the first time but one of the lifters did collapse and I was never able to keep it pumped up. So i got another set of S$S lifters took out the spacer"s and adjusted like normal. Maybe my build doesn't suite the spacers well... now have a better cushion for when the motor is hot. Peace and Quiet/with an Evo.....

i know what your problem was you didn't wait for mars to line up with Saturn and you were biting your tongue on the wrong side :icon_razz:

but really ive heard of ppl having trouble getting those lifters to quiet down

there only a few things i do differently than most when i use them. s&s roller rockers s&s HVHP oil pump and manley severe duty nitrided valves and 400lb springs

98hotrodfatboy 04-19-2015 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by D_gyver (Post 13934177)
i know what your problem was you didn't wait for mars to line up with Saturn and you were biting your tongue on the wrong side :icon_razz:

but really ive heard of ppl having trouble getting those lifters to quiet down

there only a few things i do differently than most when i use them. s&s roller rockers s&s HVHP oil pump and manley severe duty nitrided valves and 400lb springs

I did listen to Venus though as she was chomping down on the bit and thats when it all made sense...... KISS....... I'm going to enjoy the rest of my year looking forward and enjoying the road ahead of me......