Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   EVO (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-84/)
-   -   Bleeding Lcd Problems on a 97 Road King (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo/1058304-bleeding-lcd-problems-on-a-97-road-king.html)

Ozark Joe 07-08-2015 08:12 PM

Bleeding Lcd Problems on a 97 Road King

I have been tracking a bike for sometime. Finally I decided to check with the dealership that has it. The salesman told me so far the major issue is the odometer lcd is leaking so they are unable to retrieve the numbers from it. So I need to know how to fix it and what it may cost so I can save back for the repairs.

I read somewhere that the lcd may not be serviceable and that the whole speedo may have to be replaced. I'm just not sure if I went through the process of replacing the speedo if the original miles would show in the new lcd or will it go back to 0. Can someone clarify more on the issue?

Ape_Hanger 07-08-2015 08:15 PM

I'm not sure why it's even a concern, in 8 months the bike will be long gone.

No the mileage won't transfer to a new speedo.

Ozark Joe 07-08-2015 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ape_Hanger (Post 14188951)
I'm not sure why it's even a concern, in 8 months the bike will be long gone.

No the mileage won't transfer to a new speedo.

The bike has been sitting for nearly 4 months (possibly longer,found it on cycle trader). So I assume that it the way it look is why everyone get scared off. Even though the price is right for me at least.

The concern I have is the issue with that I wouldn't be able to register and tag till the odometer was fixed. I'm not sure how some one was to get the true odometer miles when no one knows the last reading.

carlgrover 07-09-2015 12:42 PM

The mileage on any speedometer you put on that bike is what's going to show on it's odometer. If you can't read the mileage from the existing odometer, you're hosed.

You can buy a twin cam speedo from HD and that will fix the problem. I think a couple of guys here know how to put just a new odometer in the unit. I bought the twin cam upgrade speedometer for my Road King. The upgrade took me about 1/2 a day, really taking my time.

I wouldn't buy a bike not knowing the mileage. If someone can't get comfortably close to 10,000 miles or so on it, I'd run.

By the way, if you were to put a new speedo in it, you can just register it at that mileage. Who's gonna know otherwise?

carl

bluharley 07-09-2015 12:54 PM

Mileage on a bike that old should be exempt anyway. I think it's 10 years, maybe not.

Crashone 07-09-2015 06:14 PM

Read post #16:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...91-speedo.html

Ozark Joe 07-10-2015 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by bluharley (Post 14190988)
Mileage on a bike that old should be exempt anyway. I think it's 10 years, maybe not.

Not in Missouri for out of state vehicles coming in state. If you want tags and a title you have to have an odometer reading no matter how old. Unless it was bought in Missouri.

bluharley 07-10-2015 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Calamity Joe (Post 14192724)
Not in Missouri for out of state vehicles coming in state. If you want tags and a title you have to have an odometer reading no matter how old. Unless it was bought in Missouri.

Wellll, that makes no sense!

Ozark Joe 07-10-2015 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by bluharley (Post 14193229)
Wellll, that makes no sense!

That's Jefferson City for ya. I sometimes I think our legislator's spend time sitting around thinking of some dumb laws to make it more harder for the rest of us.

bluharley 07-10-2015 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Calamity Joe (Post 14193840)
That's Jefferson City for ya. I sometimes I think our legislator's spend time sitting around thinking of some dumb laws to make it more harder for the rest of us.

It's not just your local gov, fed, state, local, they all try to justify their existence by making laws about things they know nothing about.