Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   EVO (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-84/)
-   -   Brake issues continued (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo/1080755-brake-issues-continued.html)

Ozark Joe 11-12-2015 05:30 PM

Brake issues continued

Thanks to texashillcountry I got a decent set of used pads for the front. However it brought to my attention that I have to pull the handle almost all the way to the handlebars. So does that mean that the brakes need to be bled?

Jackie Paper 11-12-2015 05:33 PM

When you first put the pads on, you need to pump them out. Then is a good idea to bleed them probably to change the fluid out. Actually, if all you did was change the pads, air should have not got in. Be sure when you bleed to re-snug the bleeder before letting up on the lever and to leave the cap loose. Always reset the bellow closed after you finish since this is a sealed no vent system that depends on the bellow coming in to allow flow of fluid. Only snug the cap and then apx 1/4 turn more to allow the bellow gasket squash to keep screws tight.

Ozark Joe 11-12-2015 05:39 PM

I never messed with the bleeder screw when I put the pads on.

89FLHTC 11-12-2015 06:02 PM

As far out as the caliper piston was, I bet it did suck in some air. They are easy to bleed but easier if you have someone to help you. Let us know if you need to know how to do it.
Also, you will need some Dot 5 brake fluid. (I think that is correct for yours but check your owners manual)

langwilliams 11-12-2015 06:14 PM

I bought a cheap mini vac from autozone for like $25. makes bleeding brakes by yourself easy, I used to to change the fluid in my V rod an it helped braking feel, may have made the lever firmer, I don't remember. wouldn't be a bad thing to flush your fluid.

Ozark Joe 11-12-2015 06:30 PM

Here's a question I forgot to ask,isn't brakes squealing mean the new pads are settling into the rotor?

89FLHTC 11-12-2015 06:33 PM

Brake squeal can be the rotors or pads. Did you put any kind of anti-squeal compound on the back of the pads before you installed them? That cured my brake squeal.

Ozark Joe 11-12-2015 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by 89FLHTC (Post 14569916)
Brake squeal can be the rotors or pads. Did you put any kind of anti-squeal compound on the back of the pads before you installed them? That cured my brake squeal.

No man I didn't,is there any special anti-squeal compound i have to use or any from a auto store work?

89FLHTC 11-12-2015 09:14 PM

Just use whatever the auto parts store has. You really need to bleed the brakes first adn then take it out and make a few hard stops with it first. The used pads need to conform to the rotors.

Ruggs59 11-13-2015 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by 89FLHTC (Post 14569814)
As far out as the caliper piston was, I bet it did suck in some air. They are easy to bleed but easier if you have someone to help you. Let us know if you need to know how to do it.
Also, you will need some Dot 5 brake fluid. (I think that is correct for yours but check your owners manual)

My 98 is DOT 4