Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   EVO (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-84/)
-   -   84 Harley FXRT Wiring Harness Question (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo/1147798-84-harley-fxrt-wiring-harness-question.html)

ezridermn 11-25-2016 06:27 PM

84 Harley FXRT Wiring Harness Question

2 Attachment(s)
I am trying to bring my FXRT back to life. I am stripping down to the frame and am going to build it back up.

At this point I want to remove the pins from the connectors but am finding it difficult to accomplish. I checked some things online and thought I learned what I needed to know. But to this point I can't get the pins out of the connectors.

I have attached a picture of the connectors to this post so you can see what they look like. I also attached a picture of a tool I bought that I thought would work. Either it is not the right tool or I don't know how to use it.

Can you tell me what this type of connector is called and then how to go about removing the pins?

Thanks in advance for your help!

texashillcountry 11-25-2016 07:54 PM

It is an AMP connector.
The first time I did mine I used a small paperclip that I straightened out and then folded in half.

You have to push the wire into the connector then depress the tang that holds the male/female pin in then you can pull the wire out of the connector.

Some come out easy and others are a real PITA to get out.

Make sure you make a diagram of where the wires and bridges go so that you don't get them crossed when you put it back together.

texashillcountry 11-25-2016 07:57 PM

Just out of curiosity why do you want to pull the pins out of the connectors???

There isn't really a reason to unless your gonna replace your harness or part of your harness. IMO

Rob85WG 11-26-2016 08:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I believe the pins are similar to Molex brand. Here is a picture showing the locking tabs. The removal tube is slipped oven the pin to pres in the tabs. The tabs can get stuck in the plastic so pressing the wire into the connector will free them, then slide the tube over the pin and pull the wire out the back of the connector.

yellowstone kelly 11-26-2016 12:50 PM

Rob85WG and texashillcountry are exactly right.

You need to choose the tool with the hollow tube that just fits over the pins. As Rob stated, first push the wire and pin INTO the back of the connector as far as it will go and hold it there while you slide the correct-sized tube of the tool down over the pin to force the locking tab back in alignment with the hole in the connector, so it's no longer sticking out to the side. Once the tube is pressed all the way down the pin, and the locking tab has been pushed back into the pin, pull the wire and pin backwards out of the connector and out of the tool. Sometimes you have to wiggle the tool around a little to get the locking tab recessed far enough.

In the first connector picture, in the top row of male pins, the pin on the far left appears to have its locking tab bent badly to the right side. In the same row of pins, on the one second from the right, you can see the locking tab sticking out only slightly to the right. Both of them will have to have the locking tabs straightened out by the tool before the wires and pins will slide out the back end of the connector.

Uncle G. 11-29-2016 09:14 AM

I've never been able to get that Amp/Molex removal tool to work for me, either. The tubing is a bit large to compress the lock tabs enough to release the contacts. I USED to have a piece of stainless steel tubing I scrounged from work that fit perfectly, but I lost it many years ago. Now, I just use a dental pick to bend the tabs and remove the contacts.