Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   EVO (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-84/)
-   -   Electrical / Lighting System Upgrade FLSTC (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo/1185770-electrical-lighting-system-upgrade-flstc.html)

Sorg67 07-04-2017 06:35 AM

Electrical / Lighting System Upgrade FLSTC

I have asked questions and gotten good advice from many of you in other threads regarding electrical problems I have been having with my 1992 FLSTC. Thanks for that. I have dug into my bike a bike to begin addressing these issues and I am starting a new thread to track my progress and get more feedback and advice.

To summarize:

1. Turn signals did not work when I got the bike about a year ago. Replaced turn signal control module and they worked fine for a while. Now they work in the garage but do not work when the bike is moving. Theories are bad ground or loose connection that is disconnected by vibration.
2. Bike died on the road and turned out to be a bad stator. Replaced stator and replaced battery.
3. A wire on the ignition switch has burned out twice and the current wire is showing signs of heat. The wire is related to the lighting system.
4. The bulb in the tail light is rusted into the socket so badly that it will not budge. In the process of trying to get it out. But at this point I have messed it up pretty bad. I think I will need to replace the tail light. I am wondering if a socket that it this badly corroded could cause a short that could produce other problems.

Today, I want to remove the tail light. However, I am having difficulty. I have the lens off but the base seems like it is glued on to the fender. I removed a small speed nut from the back, but that seemed to do nothing. I am considering removing the rear fender so I can get at it easier. I am considering replacing the tail light completely. Or I am wondering if I can take it apart and just replace the socket. If I replace it completely, I am considering changing it to LED for brightness.

I have printed out an 11" by 17" electrical schematic and marked the wires in color. I have the tanks and ignition base plate off the bike and I am examining the wiring system to learn how it works. I am considering replacing the entire wiring harness, but I plan to start with the tail light to see how it goes.

Right now, my main questions is how do I get the tail light off. Do I need to warm it to loosen the glue. I have a parts catalog that does not seem to show any attachment hardware as far as I can see.

texashillcountry 07-04-2017 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Sorg67 (Post 16399475)

Today, I want to remove the tail light. However, I am having difficulty. I have the lens off but the base seems like it is glued on to the fender. I removed a small speed nut from the back, but that seemed to do nothing. I am considering removing the rear fender so I can get at it easier. I am considering replacing the tail light completely. Or I am wondering if I can take it apart and just replace the socket. If I replace it completely, I am considering changing it to LED for brightness.

There should be 2 speed nuts.
Did you get them both?

The possibility exists that years of waxing has glued the base to the fender.
If this is the case you will need to take something and break that seal.
Possibly run a razor blade around the base but if you do that I'd suggest you do it very carefully.

Sorg67 07-04-2017 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by texashillcountry (Post 16399635)
There should be 2 speed nuts.
Did you get them both?

The possibility exists that years of waxing has glued the base to the fender.
If this is the case you will need to take something and break that seal.
Possibly run a razor blade around the base but if you do that I'd suggest you do it very carefully.

No, I only got one speed nut. I will look for the other.

The prior owner fixed a lot of things on the bike with silicone. I also think this bike has been exposed to extreme heat during it life in Florida. I am wondering if the rubber gasket has been melted to the fender.

The paint is very good on the bike. I hope to avoid having to have it painted.

I will try your razor blade solution and be very careful. Is a plastic scrapper a possibility too?

Dr.Hess 07-04-2017 09:41 AM

They make plastic razor blades. Very handy.

Sounds like you have a short in your lighting circuit. Burning out a wire twice, wire is hot, etc. That should not happen. That will also kill a stator/regulator.

So, yeah, carefully pull that stuff apart and put it back together right. Inspect the wires very closely. Especially the turn signal wires where they go through the rear fender. There's no grommet there from the factory, so it is just wire on metal edge.

texashillcountry 07-04-2017 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess (Post 16399944)
They make plastic razor blades. Very handy.

Sounds like you have a short in your lighting circuit. Burning out a wire twice, wire is hot, etc. That should not happen. That will also kill a stator/regulator.

So, yeah, carefully pull that stuff apart and put it back together right. Inspect the wires very closely. Especially the turn signal wires where they go through the rear fender. There's no grommet there from the factory, so it is just wire on metal edge.

When I redid mine I used a small piece of 1/4" plastic ribbed wire protector stuff (I can't remember the right name) to put around the wires and keep them from rubbing on the fender.
I used a couple small zip ties to hold it in place.

Dr.Hess 07-04-2017 10:42 AM

Wire Loom.

I bought a box of every size grommet from Harbor Freight. I put one of those in the fender hole whenever it comes up.

Uncle G. 07-04-2017 12:38 PM

The tail lamp gasket is rubberized fiber. It tends to stick to the fender after a while. There are two speed nuts that hold the tail lamp in place, one on wither side of the wire and lamp socket.

There should have been a rubber grommet where the turn signal wires come through the fender (HD part number 11437). There was on mine. I found an exact replacement in the hardware drawers at my local Tractor Supply store.

Sorg67 07-05-2017 07:00 AM

I did not get the tail light off yesterday. I think I am going to get some of the plastic razor blades and try that.

My current thinking is to focus on the rear fender and lighting to make the task more manageable. I plan to remove the rear fender, remove all the associated hardware. Clean it really well. And put it back together as near factory as possible with new wiring and possibly upgraded / brighter lights.

I looked at a HD tail light upgrade that fits my bike. It requires an adapter. All in with tax, light and adapter it will be about $250. Not sure I want to spend that much. But I do plan to keep the bike and I want it to be bright and right.

Depending on how this goes, I will address the rest of the bike accordingly. Yesterday, I spent a couple hours on the bike and did not accomplish much. But it was relaxing. Every time I started to got frustrated, I slowed down, reminded myself that there is not rush and it was a peaceful zen kind of feeling.

If it takes me two months to do a job that should take two hours, so be it.

grbrown 07-05-2017 07:58 AM

Sounds as if you will benefit from using an on-line parts website, where you can see such details as those two speed-nuts!

Sorg67 07-05-2017 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by grbrown (Post 16402264)
Sounds as if you will benefit from using an on-line parts website, where you can see such details as those two speed-nuts!

Yes, that sounds useful, thanks. Where would I find an online parts website?

I have the factory parts catalog and while it only shows one speed nut in the picture, it lists two. So, I also need to learn to look at the parts catalog more carefully.

It is also difficult doing this by feel. I am working on removing the rear fender so I can see better what I am doing and have easier access. Although I am finding that getting the rear fender off is not the easiest thing in the world either..... lol.