Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   EVO (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-84/)
-   -   98' Ultra Classic Handlebar Bushings help ! (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo/1229875-98-ultra-classic-handlebar-bushings-help.html)

BMOTOXSTAR 04-24-2018 08:58 AM

98' Ultra Classic Handlebar Bushings help !

So , as long as I have owned my 98' Ultra Classic I have had just a tad bit of forward flex on the handlebars. I was always told this was due to the bushings allowing the flex.

I went to a new shop to get some tires done & the guy tells me I need new risers and bushings.

I take the fairing off, check the bolts and bushings. All is tight and the bushings look nice, no cracks,

So question is, how much flex should you have on a 98' Ultra Classic's handlebars? I have about 1/4 inch if less of flex.

Thanks guys ! :icon_imnotworthy:

nibroc 04-24-2018 09:07 AM

nothing wrong with those bushings

WP50 04-24-2018 01:40 PM

Mine had a good bit more than a 1/4 in when I went after them.

I wouldn't bother with them myself

WP

0maha 04-24-2018 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by BMOTOXSTAR (Post 17302242)
So , as long as I have owned my 98' Ultra Classic I have had just a tad bit of forward flex on the handlebars. I was always told this was due to the bushings allowing the flex.

I went to a new shop to get some tires done & the guy tells me I need new risers and bushings.

I take the fairing off, check the bolts and bushings. All is tight and the bushings look nice, no cracks,

So question is, how much flex should you have on a 98' Ultra Classic's handlebars? I have about 1/4 inch if less of flex.

Thanks guys ! :icon_imnotworthy:

New risers? Unless yours are actually broken (and I expect you'd know if they were), why would you need new risers? I'd be a bit leery of this new guy.

My '90 has the same flex you're talking about. I've never measured it, but I'm sure its more than 1/4" at the top of the bars. Just the way it is with rubber mounting.

Mattbastard 04-24-2018 02:31 PM

I took the spacer out that's inside the bushings and shaved an eighth inch off. this way I could reef down on the riser bolt and the handlebars were solid.

Beemervet 04-24-2018 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by 0maha (Post 17303128)
New risers? Unless yours are actually broken (and I expect you'd know if they were), why would you need new risers? I'd be a bit leery of this new guy.

My '90 has the same flex you're talking about. I've never measured it, but I'm sure its more than 1/4" at the top of the bars. Just the way it is with rubber mounting.

:icon_that:

BMOTOXSTAR 04-25-2018 11:42 PM

Thanks for the help guys ! I got paranoid after that ! The guy says he worked on HD's and old EVO's so he must just be trying to rip me off. Yeah, the bolts, risers, bushings all look good for being a 98'. Nothing is loose. I have had this bike 10 years and when he said that it freaked me out !

BMOTOXSTAR 04-25-2018 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by WP50 (Post 17303109)
Mine had a good bit more than a 1/4 in when I went after them.

I wouldn't bother with them myself

WP

So you did not replace yours, just left as is? I am used to the play on the bars just got worried it was to much.

Crashone 04-26-2018 09:10 AM

How high are the bars you are running? That will make a difference in the flex. Running urethane bushings will tighten them up if need be.

grbrown 04-26-2018 03:08 PM

The bushings are there to remove tingling vibration and to save your fingers and hands. Some movement is inevitable with the 'give' that is inherent in those bushings. Nothing wrong, from what I can make out.