Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   EVO (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-84/)
-   -   Motor maybe gone (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo/271082-motor-maybe-gone.html)

FLGEEZ 08-26-2008 11:09 PM

Motor maybe gone

1 Attachment(s)
Had a whirr, quietted down, and then the sounds of a quarter in a tumble dryer.

96 EFI Stock-ish EVO. FullSac only non stock item (I think). I have pulled the primary,
Plugs out, hand turned and scraping noise in front cylinder near TDC. Local HD Service does not reccomend REMAN for several reasons.

I am looking for a Rebuild Indy in the Northern VA area or a good source for new or reman 80" EFI ready to runs. Touring model Chrome and Black.

Any help? Much appreciated.

flstf93 08-27-2008 08:44 AM

check with chicago hd. they always have good deals on bn replacement engines. other than that, if you wanted to ship your current engine out, there is a great harley shop in central new york called hilltop motorcycle and machine located in munnsville. i have never heard any bad work come from them. they are noted for being able to make a shovel run like no other

HDWRENCH 08-27-2008 09:27 AM

There are many options for that set up, the reman engines from hd are so -so. Have you found out what is wrong with yours yet? Maybe it can be repaired for less than a new engine. We do offer outright EVO & Shovel HD engines with your core as exchange. The one that is currently being finished up is 80 inch, SE heads, woods 6 cam, cp forged pistons, compression 9.7.1

outlaw0013 08-27-2008 03:56 PM

How about the remanufacture through the MOCO . They say no to a rebuild but try it that way.

FLGEEZ 08-27-2008 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by HDWRENCH (Post 3790893)
There are many options for that set up, the reman engines from hd are so -so. Have you found out what is wrong with yours yet? Maybe it can be repaired for less than a new engine. We do offer outright EVO & Shovel HD engines with your core as exchange. The one that is currently being finished up is 80 inch, SE heads, woods 6 cam, cp forged pistons, compression 9.7.1

HDWRENCH, Sent ya a PM.

Thanks.

flstf93, I'll scope out Hilltop as well.

Price

flstf93 08-27-2008 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by FLGEEZ (Post 3793076)
HDWRENCH, Sent ya a PM.

Thanks.

flstf93, I'll scope out Hilltop as well.

Price

i just found the phone #and address:
Hillside Motorcycle Machine
5225 South Main Street
Munnsville, NY 13409

phone: (315)495-6650

IronButt62 08-28-2008 03:50 PM

FWIW, I recently considered replacing my engine (87 Heritage) Could have snagged a 113 or 120" Ultima on Flea Bay for well under 4K delivered. Decided to run my current motor a bit longer as I just dropped a 6 speed in and need to build up $$$.

FLGEEZ 09-18-2008 02:20 AM

Fell on the knife and took the Road Sofa to the Local. Lost the cam bearing and created a bit of havoc.

New cam, bearings, cylinders, piston, rings and maybe an oil pump. Without a flywheel or crank problem and no headwork....approximately $3000.00. 50/50 parts and labor. Gonna put a Torrington bearing in this time. INA no way.

I couln not find a close-in rebuilder that anyone would reccomend or a straight 80" EFI .

motor

Classic Beast 09-19-2008 09:18 AM

for $4000 I put in a 127 ultima fully polished bolted right in to my 1995 FLSTN took about 4 hours to put it in. They also make a great touring motor the 120 which is 4.25 bore 4.25 stroke. Not worth fixing my 110 for that money.

FLGEEZ 09-20-2008 06:59 PM

Don't think I want a Power Hog for a touring motor. My Black and Chrome EFI wouldn't look quite right with a Shiny Thing.

Good luck with your Softie.

hardluk1 09-21-2008 10:13 AM

flgleez, You can get a motor from west viginia hd for 2800 i think and remanufactor for less than that . DON"T let the dealer rebuild it. Or buy a ultima from JIREH for just over 3000. Just don't forget to pull all oil lines, tank ,anything that is envolved with the oil and flush or replace. A little more money for a motor The Driveline Company,check Kendall Johnsons ebay store for size finish and price. You can get the size you want but up to 100" would be nice and still not the over bored or extra long stroke.

notlost_nc 09-22-2008 12:21 AM

$3k is way too much, you can get a brand new engine from H-D for less than that. Do more homework before spending your $$$. There are less expensive alternatives available.

harley9701 09-22-2008 07:07 AM

I had a knock in my evo. Ended up being the crank and bearings. Rebuilt the entire engine myself for less than $850.Replaced the cam,lifters,bearings,pushrods,rings ,crank, The hardest part was alignning the flywheels on the crank. Have about 1600 miles on it and runs great. Good luck with whatever you decide

Classic Beast 09-22-2008 09:55 AM

Here's is an example that can happen when a shop gets your motor apart. My brother in law took his 2006 Softail in for a 95 kit, before this we had discussed a complete motor which would have been slightly less than $8000 for a 124" S&S motor with fuel injection new clutch and warranty installed (less for a 113 or 96"). Instead he opted to go to the harley dealer for the 95 kit, the end result was $9300.00 (no new clutch, gear drive cams or timken bearings).

big cahuna 09-22-2008 10:01 AM

I had my '93 evo motor remanned . And after all was said and done ,could have got an after market bigger motor with better warrenty for about the same $$$. check around before you commit to it.,,,

FLGEEZ 09-22-2008 04:03 PM

[QUOTE=hardluk1;3895874]flgleez, You can get a motor from west viginia hd for 2800 i think and remanufactor for less than that . DON"T let the dealer rebuild it. Or buy a ultima from JIREH for just over 3000. QUOTE]
Reman is near $2600.00 plus the labor and gaskets for reinstall at about $1300.00.

Near 4 grand. BTW, you don't get to pick and choose squat, ie INA bearing, ya the one that failed.

I am yet to find an 80" Stock Touring EFI motor anywhere. Been in WEST VA. and can find lot's of motors for Softies. But what I want is a Touring Black and Chrome, preferably with my VIN number on it. Ultima El Bruto has an EFI 80" Stock motor???

If WEST VA HD (Charleston, WVA maybe) has a motor for my bike, it doesn't show on their site.

Till I had the local pull it down, I did not know the extent of the damage. Now I do.

While I might not have done enough homework for some, I have done my due diligence. I will also be the first to report on the quality of the rebuild, either way and take the arrows from those that wish to sling more than carry.
From notlost_nc:
$3k is way too much, you can get a brand new engine from H-D for less than that. Do more homework before spending your $$$. There are less expensive alternatives available.
There are a lot of things I could get for less than that. A Black and Chrome non-Dyna/Softie EFI ain't one of them that I can find.

Like my Librarian Wife says: "Quote your source." I'll get a loan and by a spare.

Classic Beast 09-25-2008 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by FLGEEZ (Post 3883726)
Fell on the knife and took the Road Sofa to the Local. Lost the cam bearing and created a bit of havoc.

New cam, bearings, cylinders, piston, rings and maybe an oil pump. Without a flywheel or crank problem and no headwork....approximately $3000.00. 50/50 parts and labor. Gonna put a Torrington bearing in this time. INA no way.

I couln not find a close-in rebuilder that anyone would reccomend or a straight 80" EFI .

motor

Guess we all want different things, most of us can't leave well enough alone and keep upgrading the engine for more and more power but as you said a few times in your posts you want an 80" black and Chrome with your stock Vin and the shop to R&R it then your choice is probably the best one, guess the important thing is to get back on the road with no future problems and not get raped too bad at the dealership. Hope your getting a good warranty and your shop stands behind it's work. Too bad with all of these good folks trying to help someone couldn't recommend a good shop close to you. Best of luck and keep us up to date on how it turns out, as I think everyone here really had your best interests at heart.

FLGEEZ 09-26-2008 04:39 PM

The Reman from the MoCo totals near $4K after dis-assembly, and reassembly, (gaskets, labor, Friday night round for the Lads and Lasses, and new stationary)

For about that, I'll get back the original heads, and lower half cases, and pretty much all new everywhere else.

The crank assembly is being completely replace with new. Bearing droppings got some stickin goin on with it.

A bit over priced for some, but The INA is away, all stock rebuild, parts and labor and diagnosis.

J.S. at the local knows I will be the first to Praise or not as the work merits.

Later.

Price

notlost_nc 10-22-2008 08:33 PM

Just wondering how things turned out.

FLGEEZ 10-23-2008 10:47 AM

Last Thursday, I phoned hoping to hear it was ready or would be the next day.

I was told that the crank shims had not arrived....

I understand the shrunken work week due to sales slump, Tuesday to Saturday, and I can understand the pre scheduled two week workload. That seems to be the general lead time required for service here. But after every call the clock seems to reset again.

It's been about 5 weeks total now, from the 18th of Sept.

Classic Beast 10-23-2008 03:25 PM

Crank shims? was that for the timken bearings? My dealer has those in stock. and if not they are an overnight supply, wish you luck

FLGEEZ 10-23-2008 08:18 PM

Sometimes they say, 'The check is in the mail', 'My Dog ate my homework'....

My guess. Daytona and Service overload. I am taking a field trip tomorrow.

FLGEEZ 10-24-2008 11:55 AM

Touched the bike today, Friday. The shims were not for the crank, but shims for the new cam, according to the Tech. Just fyi, the lower end is complete, oil pump, nosecone, etc.

An appology was offered for the delay, but was not required. Not offering excuses for the shop, but they are working on it.

Classic Beast 10-24-2008 12:01 PM

I guess good work takes time some shops would just slap the cam in with over .010" end play so it might be a good sign they waited for the right shims.

IA DPE 10-25-2008 10:05 AM

When I was remodeling my house, I told a couple different contractors that if they'd only take their time and do it right, I was willing to pay a little extra. I'm not loose and free with my money, but I figured I'd be looking at their mistakes the rest of my life, so I'd rather spend a couple hundred extra now for lifetime piece of mind. It is ultimately YOUR money- spend it how you wish. If/ when my '86 needs new life, I will either have my motor rebuilt by a local shop, or do it myself.

daven9113 10-30-2008 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by FLGEEZ (Post 3789827)
Had a whirr, quietted down, and then the sounds of a quarter in a tumble dryer.

FLGEEZ,

Just jump in here once in a while. Hope your rebuild is going well.

What was the mileage on your bike when your cam bearing went out? Did you have some noise and rode it some, before the cam bearing went out, or was it's pretty sudden? Sorry that it did so much damage. Thanks.

dave

FLGEEZ 10-31-2008 11:46 AM

Dave,

My hopes are like yours. That things are going well. Well, things have not seemed to be going much this week.

31 OCT 08, one week later, no word. This might become one of those , "I told you so" opportunities. EOD, I call the Service department and ask what's up.

58,000. 3rd owner, at 32,500 (May 04) after second owner put 1500 miles in two years. Original owner was a Tech at HD Manasas. No records were available re: service from their dealership and the manual was misplaced by the second owner.... since 32.5K, HD of Washington and I have sheduled service the ride well enough. Went to SYN3 at 34K.

Near 40K (SEP 05) Quad seal leaked and had all transmission seals replaced, rear base gasket, plus new starter.

At 51K (OCT 07) Clutch spring plate rivets failed and jammed the clutch package.

I replaced the clutch plates, honed the basket and shell and replaced the primary chain shoe.

The noise (whirr) lasted just a moment at start up. The quarters in the dryer sounds did not become appearant till I turned off my radio, because something was not right. Less than 20 miles probably till I shut it down at an HD dealership in Plainfield, IN and towed it back to VA.

I had a squeal sound that no one could identify in 06 on the way thru TN on a make up loop after we missed Billings. (Trike got rear ended. 11 Weeks for new body on hers) Have no idea what it was, whether it was related to the cam, but I asked along the way.

In summary, not finished, partially done, hopefully soon.

FLGEEZ 11-01-2008 12:03 AM

Just reloaded pics of clutch FOD.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=2196

notlost_nc 11-14-2008 07:23 PM

Is it done yet ?

FLGEEZ 11-15-2008 02:09 PM

No.

I don't know who is reading this, but;

Explanation provided by phoncon on 11 November 2008 is as follows.

All Special Orders parts arrived by 23 October 2008.

Mechanic was at training. (for a week sometime after 24 OCT 08. That's when he told me the bottom was done, I got my keys exchanged, and he said the shims were for the Cam.)

Shop Orders in front will be finished first.

When I get it back, I will reply again.

FLGEEZ 11-29-2008 04:48 PM

Saturday, 29 November, Bike is done.

$4120.XX Parts, labor, taxes, etc. New crank, bearings, jugs, pistons, cam and Torrington bearing and a new stator while they were there at my request. Same heads, pushrods, lower cases, and pump reassembly.

The Service Department had it cleaned, polished, and ready to go.

The trip home was only 20 miles, but all went well. I will put more miles on it once I get over the Flu.

30 days, 1000 miles, to answer the warrantee ?s.

My only grind is the time and how little communication was offered re: parts delays.

I got what I wanted so far: My VIN (original cases) new guts from someone I knew and still do trust, communication skills not considered. We did not call or pester daily, but they also did not give us any pie in the sky optimism. They said they would call when it was ready and they did.

FLGEEZ 12-05-2008 05:06 PM

Pics of FOD in Cam race and lobe wear.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/membe...m-failure.html

davhas 12-11-2008 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by FLGEEZ (Post 4057705)
Dave,

My hopes are like yours. That things are going well. Well, things have not seemed to be going much this week.

31 OCT 08, one week later, no word. This might become one of those , "I told you so" opportunities. EOD, I call the Service department and ask what's up.

58,000. 3rd owner, at 32,500 (May 04) after second owner put 1500 miles in two years. Original owner was a Tech at HD Manasas. No records were available re: service from their dealership and the manual was misplaced by the second owner.... since 32.5K, HD of Washington and I have sheduled service the ride well enough. Went to SYN3 at 34K.

Near 40K (SEP 05) Quad seal leaked and had all transmission seals replaced, rear base gasket, plus new starter.

At 51K (OCT 07) Clutch spring plate rivets failed and jammed the clutch package.

I replaced the clutch plates, honed the basket and shell and replaced the primary chain shoe.

The noise (whirr) lasted just a moment at start up. The quarters in the dryer sounds did not become appearant till I turned off my radio, because something was not right. Less than 20 miles probably till I shut it down at an HD dealership in Plainfield, IN and towed it back to VA.

I had a squeal sound that no one could identify in 06 on the way thru TN on a make up loop after we missed Billings. (Trike got rear ended. 11 Weeks for new body on hers) Have no idea what it was, whether it was related to the cam, but I asked along the way.

In summary, not finished, partially done, hopefully soon.

FLGEEZ, HD of washington they are nice people and everything, but I got a bit tired of the promises to fix my bike and it getting put off so they could work on other bikes. Hope you get it back soon.

davhas 12-11-2008 02:19 PM

cool you got it back man. didnt read to the end d'oh.

Classic Beast 12-14-2008 07:03 AM

Glad to hear you got it back all done, once you get through the break in lets hope you have many happy miles.

FLGEEZ 10-05-2009 10:43 PM

Once again, HDeja Vu

Long time since the last post. Went into relocation mode. Rode a bit on the rebuild. Did a few PGR missions, made plans for the ride to Branson for the trike rally in AUG 09.

Started on the VA house and spent 8 weeks after I took the CFO to Indiana in May. Got the house close enough, put it on the market, too an offer out of the first 5 the next day. Happy times. Hauled my EVO and the Sporty to Indiana....

The Evo Started Sounding not good, ... Broke in Oklahoma, on a day ride out of Branson to Tahlequah, OK. Total mileage from rebuild to OFF was less than 1900 miles. rented a car to drive from Branson, MO to Indianapolis, to get the trailer. Back the next day, back to Indy the next day, dropped it off at INDY West in Plainfield to have it checked and had to return to Alexandria, VA the next to sit with my sister and help our Dad through Hospice.

Have to go back for the Internment at Arlington in late Oct.

The EVO now has a REMAN from the factory. Put back together at INDY West. They said the crank had 1/4" of end play when they took it apart. What they said....

To all who had bad thoughts about the Dealer rebuild---- less than 2k miles and another $4500 to the MOCO and it's stock holders.

We will see what the Reman does. May be my Ticket to Hondas again. Don't want to P on the parade, but my money does not seem to be quality enough for a keeper.

Later. Good Luck and Ride long.

bparsel 10-06-2009 08:59 AM

Damn, just read through this thread. That sucks, plain and simple and I would be PISSED off. This is also why I do all work myself, even if it takes me 4ever.

Fatboy931 10-07-2009 09:44 PM

Sorry to hear about your problems. It's an old design but the design isn't the problem. Lack of attention to detail is the problem. Unfortunately greed is the problem. Find a good indy and stick with them. The MOCO and their outlets are just in it to make money. I know everyone has to make a living but the passion for riding isn't there anymore at most dealers. Selling the logo is what matters.

Classic Beast 10-09-2009 12:58 PM

Got the 127 back in the bike and put on the 51mm SE carb, Wow what a difference I will have to put it on the dyno to really see what it does put out. Got about 4600 on it now but back to work in Saudi so it will have to wait for a while for any more.

Classic Beast 10-09-2009 01:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here she is with the 127