Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   EVO (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-84/)
-   -   Idle (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo/646389-idle.html)

mballinger 05-23-2011 11:14 AM

Idle

I know this has been gone over seveal times and sorry for this post, but I'm about 1000 miles away from home on vac. I have a 96 Road King Evo. When I come to a stop and the engine is at idle it begans idling up to around 1200 RPM's and then back down to around 900 RPM's or so i'm guessing I don't have a tach. It just keeps doing this. I had somewhat of the same problem last year and thought it was the idle control sensor module and had it replaced. Anyone with ideas please post.

I did notice yesterday that the air filter is dirty and needs replaced. I would have thought the service guy would have done this before I left for my trip, but i guess not.

Does anyone think the head sensor maybe bad?

JohnFlorida 05-23-2011 01:22 PM

idle changing might be intake leak

ajayrk 05-23-2011 01:33 PM

Carbureted or Injection?

mballinger 05-23-2011 04:30 PM

Injection

ajayrk 05-23-2011 09:22 PM

Use a can of brake cleaner or throttle body cleaner and clean the throttle body. Be sure to put the straw into the holes at the top of each throat and clean them completely. Those holes supply the idle air when the throttle plate is closed.

You can also pull the ECM and fuel pump fuse under the right side cover for five or ten minuets to allow the ECM to reset the idle. Install the fuses and switch the ignition on for 15 seconds and off for 15 seconds. Do this twice before starting the engine so the new idle position will be learned.

If these don't work you will need to adjust the hot and cold idle set screws to get the proper idle. Pull the fuses. Install the fuses. The do the on off sequence.

mballinger 05-23-2011 09:49 PM

Thank you I will try that.

Also I was talking about the idle control sensor module that I replaced last year. When I replaced it I found that HD came out with a new Idle control which is a little different an the first one.( Part #27272-95A) I found by tinkering around today that when I let the throttle off it was not going back to its idle position. So I adjusted the throttle cables on the handle bars. This fixed the high/low idle, but now the engine light is coming on when I decelerate or at low speeds. I'm thinking maybe I made the RPM's to low somehow any thoughts???

Also I didn't mention this before, but I just had the cold/hot idle adjusted before vac and also installed a TV3 Auto tuner from Terry Components and it seems to be working beautifully

mballinger 05-23-2011 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by mballinger (Post 8361129)
Thank you I will try that.

Also I was talking about the idle control sensor module that I replaced last year. When I replaced it I found that HD came out with a new Idle control which is a little different an the first one.( Part #27272-95A) I found by tinkering around today that when I let the throttle off it was not going back to its idle position. So I adjusted the throttle cables on the handle bars. This fixed the high/low idle, but now the engine light is coming on when I decelerate or at low speeds. I'm thinking maybe I made the RPM's to low somehow any thoughts???

Also I didn't mention this before, but I just had the cold/hot idle adjusted before vac and also installed a TV3 Auto tuner from Terry Components and it seems to be working beautifully

I checked the Error Code is 11

EVOrider 05-24-2011 06:18 AM

With the Magnetti EFI system, you really need a tachometer to adjust the cold/hot idle. I would highly recommend using a tachometer before adjusting any idle at all. The cold idle really needs to be set around 1200-1500 RPM and the hot idle needs to be right at 1000 RPM.

My opinion, it sounds like the hot idle needs adjusting in your case. When adjusting the hot idle, there is no need to pull fuses or disconnect anything.

It's the cold idle that is the PITA because it requires a few steps in there.

miacycles 05-24-2011 06:42 AM

Error code 11 is high battery voltage. If the voltage going to the sensors, etc. is too high then they will not do what they were supposed to do correctly. Find out the cause for the "high voltage reading" first. That may take care of your problem.

ajayrk 05-24-2011 07:12 AM

Fuses need to be removed or the idle will return to the learned rpm.

The head temperature sensor may have and interment fault and shifting the ECM to cold which will result in a rich setting.