Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   EVO (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-84/)
-   -   broke down on way to work (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo/987773-broke-down-on-way-to-work.html)

rowan 07-29-2014 03:22 PM

broke down on way to work

on the way to work my evo died (98 softail custom). about 1/3 the way to work noticed speedo stopped working, a few miles up the road (aprox 5) bike hesitated twice and cut off
well no juice to anything but headlight and taillight voltage regulator had a loose wire and plug
that goes in to primary also loose and seemed bad,
Worst of all aprox a dozen bikes passed me in both directions and not a single sole stopped
go figure, bike is in shop missed a days pay and the GF birthday is today taking her to dinner in a bit, she said I was taking it all well told her the ride this morning before the break down was worth it lol, what can you do. Good thing it was not raining or cold
what really peeves me is not one bike stopped ok rant over.
sure wish HD still built the softail custom or standard?... oh my commute is 60 miles one way
the GF can not drive because of achillies reconstruction and my trailer got sold when I sold the house and moved into her condo. lol

73oldsman 07-29-2014 03:42 PM

Yep, some days just suck!

texashillcountry 07-29-2014 04:15 PM

A while back I broke down and was on the side of the road for 2 hours.
No one stopped. NO ONE.

I guess the old school way is going the way of the dodo.

FWIW I always stop when I see a bike on the side of the road.

wheel752 07-29-2014 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by texashillcountry (Post 13044019)
A while back I broke down and was on the side of the road for 2 hours.
No one stopped. NO ONE.

I guess the old school way is going the way of the dodo.

FWIW I always stop when I see a bike on the side of the road.

Butt the bros will almost break there necks waving....

rowan 07-29-2014 05:32 PM

I always stop regardless if I am on 2 wheels or in 4, in the past even gone and gotten my trailer to help out. Regardless I shall continue to help or at least stop to see if all is ok. dealership had a deuce real clean with 39000 miles on the odometer. asking 10,000 hmmm

Hackd 07-29-2014 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by rowan (Post 13043882)
on the way to work my evo died (98 softail custom). about 1/3 the way to work noticed speedo stopped working, a few miles up the road (aprox 5) bike hesitated twice and cut off
well no juice to anything but headlight and taillight voltage regulator had a loose wire and plug
that goes in to primary also loose and seemed bad

On the list of bad designs the engineers at The MoCo came up with, the voltage regulator to stator plug would be right there in the top five.

I only had to read the first three lines of your post and that was my diagnosis. Now the big question, how long does an average battery last on your bike? My fix was to take an X-Acto knife and a small pick, pare a bit of the plastic off the bottom of the voltage regulator plug, then insert the pick through the stator plug to hold the female terminals before snapping in the male voltage regulator plug. I made certain the female terminals where snug before doing this by using a pair of small needle nose pliers to squeeze the metal together.

Before (successfully) diagnosing the problem on my bike, I would change batteries every two years. After doing my garage 'fix', the current battery has lasted since June 2006.

Don't know what to say about being stranded. Happens. It's a different world out there. Be safe.

Ape_Hanger 07-29-2014 07:22 PM

That sucks man. Hope you get back on the road in no time.

Kees 07-29-2014 08:01 PM

That sucks alright, but I suppose everyone thinks that we all have cell phones now, still no excuse.

I stopped the other day for a fellow biker on the side of the road, turned out he had just stopped to make a phone call....he was a patched club member so probably doing a deal.... I stopped anyway, he seemed appreciative.:icon_wink:

rowan 07-29-2014 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Hackd (Post 13044292)
On the list of bad designs the engineers at The MoCo came up with, the voltage regulator to stator plug would be right there in the top five.

I only had to read the first three lines of your post and that was my diagnosis. Now the big question, how long does an average battery last on your bike? My fix was to take an X-Acto knife and a small pick, pare a bit of the plastic off the bottom of the voltage regulator plug, then insert the pick through the stator plug to hold the female terminals before snapping in the male voltage regulator plug. I made certain the female terminals where snug before doing this by using a pair of small needle nose pliers to squeeze the metal together.

Before (successfully) diagnosing the problem on my bike, I would change batteries every two years. After doing my garage 'fix', the current battery has lasted since June 2006.

Don't know what to say about being stranded. Happens. It's a different world out there. Be safe.

the battery in the bike was new a few months ago, should still be under warranty from shop
hoping the bike will not be down to long, I am fortunate that I am not with out a ride just a place to work on them. moved in to a condo with my GF and have a storage unit for the bike
tools and a few house hold items been keeping the evo at the condo with a good cover up until this incident the bike has run great just looks rough if the shop bill is not what a kidney transplant would be I was going to spring for a new set of VH straight shots but that may be on hold a while

Pinetop 07-29-2014 10:39 PM

poor assumption

Originally Posted by Kees (Post 13044732)
That sucks alright, but I suppose everyone thinks that we all have cell phones now, still no excuse.

I stopped the other day for a fellow biker on the side of the road, turned out he had just stopped to make a phone call....he was a patched club member so probably doing a deal.... I stopped anyway, he seemed appreciative.:icon_wink:

Very Poor Assumption on your part. Don't get this type of conduct from a grown man.