Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

baffle removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 10:07 AM
kreid0124
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default baffle removal

I want to remove the baffles on my 2014 ultra classic for better sound.What to know if it will cause any other problems with the exhaust system or affect my warranty in any way

Old 11-01-2015, 06:35 PM
ApexPredator
Intermediate

Stock systems with baffles removed sound louder, but whether it sounds better is debatable. Most times, it seems to result in annoying popping/crackling whenever decelerating. Over the years, I've learned that you get much better results with properly designed exhaust systems; either slip-ons, or a full system. And now that it's so cheap and easy to buy/use a tuner, there's no reason to go without a re-tune. Your bike will run so much better, regardless of what exhaust you run.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:48 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Originally Posted by kreid0124
I want to remove the baffles on my 2014 ultra classic for better sound.What to know if it will cause any other problems with the exhaust system or affect my warranty in any way
Welcome to the forum!

Removing the baffles will result in a significant loss of low and mid range power, drop in mpg, and while louder, the likelihood is that you won't like the sloppy blubbery sound.

We just did the above a couple of weeks ago with 2 different 2014 Touring models...a Street Glide and a Tri-Glide.

Then we put some W258 Thunder Torque Inserts in them (after removing the baffles) and were VERY Surprised at how good they sounded, on top of that, they produced as much, or more, power as top performance exhaust systems...that was a big surprise too.

We should have a video of the sound shortly.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 11-04-2015, 10:00 AM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

Pick up a set of Cycle Shack slip-ons, they can be had for around $300 and will look, sound and perform way better than stock mufflers with the baffles drilled out. And as mentioned above, get a tuner of some sort, even a stock bike will perform significantly better with a proper tune.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:08 AM
jdunn01
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Welcome to the forum!

Removing the baffles will result in a significant loss of low and mid range power, drop in mpg, and while louder, the likelihood is that you won't like the sloppy blubbery sound.

We just did the above a couple of weeks ago with 2 different 2014 Touring models...a Street Glide and a Tri-Glide.

Then we put some W258 Thunder Torque Inserts in them (after removing the baffles) and were VERY Surprised at how good they sounded, on top of that, they produced as much, or more, power as top performance exhaust systems...that was a big surprise too.

We should have a video of the sound shortly.

Plus one on the DK Customs TTI's. I am running them on my 2014 SGS with Rush Big Louie's with no baffles, K&N Filter in stock back plate and cover and a FP3. Love the sound and the performance.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:42 AM
bill_1202
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I would like my pipes to be a little louder and I'm always looking for more performance. I am considering getting this TTI setup for my V&H 4" slash rounds and FP3. This is what DK sent me in an email:

"If you leave the baffles in, you will want to use the W158 ThunderTorque Inserts. It will not make it louder. It will deepen the tonea bit. It will increase the low and mid range power. You will notneed to re-tune, although an auto-tune with your FP3 may yield a bit of anincrease in power and mpg.

If you remove the baffles, then you will want to use the W258Thunder Torque Inserts. It will be louder. It will have more powerthrough out the entire RPM range, even with no auto-tune (and a slight increasein MPG). Then if you do an auto-tune there will be yet another increasein power & MPG.

The TTI's work very well with the V&H slip-ons at increasing performance.

Does anyone have this TTI system with V&H slipons? How do they work? Better Performance? How much louder with these vs. leaving my baffles in? Are you happy with them?

Old 11-04-2015, 11:59 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by bill_1202
I would like my pipes to be a little louder and I'm always looking for more performance. I am considering getting this TTI setup for my V&H 4" slash rounds and FP3. This is what DK sent me in an email:

"If you leave the baffles in, you will want to use the W158 ThunderTorque Inserts. It will not make it louder. It will deepen the tonea bit. It will increase the low and mid range power. You will notneed to re-tune, although an auto-tune with your FP3 may yield a bit of anincrease in power and mpg.

If you remove the baffles, then you will want to use the W258Thunder Torque Inserts. It will be louder. It will have more powerthrough out the entire RPM range, even with no auto-tune (and a slight increasein MPG). Then if you do an auto-tune there will be yet another increasein power & MPG.

The TTI's work very well with the V&H slip-ons at increasing performance.

Does anyone have this TTI system with V&H slipons? How do they work? Better Performance? How much louder with these vs. leaving my baffles in? Are you happy with them?
You can do a search on this forum for TTI or Thunder Torque Inserts, hundreds of folks have posted their experience and thoughts on using them.

You can also go to youtube and do a search for DK Thunder Torque and see and hear a lot of videos.

Here are a couple that we have done-

Here is a dyno chart with the low side of what to expect in power increase-

Old 11-05-2015, 12:57 PM
bill_1202
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
You can do a search on this forum for TTI or Thunder Torque Inserts, hundreds of folks have posted their experience and thoughts on using them.

You can also go to youtube and do a search for DK Thunder Torque and see and hear a lot of videos.

Here are a couple that we have done-

DK Custom Products Short Shot V&H Exhaust Thunder Torque Inserts TTI - YouTube

DK Custom Improved Stock & Slip-on Exhaust Sound & Performance - YouTube

Here is a dyno chart with the low side of what to expect in power increase-

Thanks Kevin!

Old 12-13-2015, 06:40 PM
I'mTravis
Novice

Don't do it! I just bought a 13 Street Glide with V&H pipes and the baffles removed. It sounds horrible! Like a Jake brake every time I pull in the clutch to change gears or let off of the throttle. Yes, I knew it going into it but it's cheaper to replace baffles than it is to buy slip ons.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:57 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Here's the video I mentioned previously.

Not only is it a good sound (to my ears), but it produces excellent power!