Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

EPA restrictions in California

Old 04-06-2016, 09:38 AM
ghostwriter
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EPA restrictions in California

I've taken off the cats on my brand new Fat Boy Standard and took junk off back of breather. Installed Vance Hines. Sounds great and runs good but am determined to get any "extra" epa stuff off it that I can...anything related to how it breathes.

Am I missing anything else?

Many thanks for info. I'm a new member but a lifelong HD owner.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:30 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostwriter
I've taken off the cats on my brand new Fat Boy Standard and took junk off back of breather. Installed Vance Hines. Sounds great and runs good but am determined to get any "extra" epa stuff off it that I can...anything related to how it breathes.

I would say the next step is the tune. The bikes probably leaner than you want it.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:34 PM
ghostwriter
6th Gear
Default tuning

thanks. As fate would have it, that is what is being done right now. Expensive proposition, so hoping it makes a difference I can feel.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:37 PM
ghostwriter
6th Gear

cdonis, maybe you know. Was told if I want to insert a picture of my bike I needed to go to new members section and use stickies, but I don't see any. Feel stupid but there are a lot of buttons and sections to this site. Not used to it.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:00 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

I've heard Cali is tough on emissions whether its a car or bike. Will you be able to pass their testing with the bike the way you have it?.,,

Old 04-06-2016, 07:03 PM
ghostwriter
6th Gear

Oddly, as tough as Cali is, they don't inspect bikes, only cars. Not sure how much longer that will last but hoping if they change it, i'll be grandfathered in under existing rules.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:06 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Ya a tune is expensive, and good dyno tuners are not a dime a dozen. A tuning device like the powervision 2 is an option but not cheap either. As far as noticing you should but likely will want more power very soon if you are like me. I did a simple cam upgrade and dyno tune and have plenty for now. As far as a profile pic I think you go to the user cp, and I used option 2 to upload off the computer. By the way when ca starts farting around with bikes, emmissions ect, I'll sell my bike and build my 67 elcamino. Stock sucks!

Last edited by cdonis; 04-06-2016 at 11:10 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:20 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,090 Likes on 6,141 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostwriter

Yes, they outlawed standard capacity magazines so all you can purchase now are 10 round one... Oh wait..
You're talking about motorcycle emissions? My bad!

There really isn't anything left on the bike to take off apart from the mufflers and intake. The evap system is hidden on the softails and don't do anything to hurt performance.
What you really need is a decent tune to fatten up the fuel mixture a little bit.

What ever you do don't throw away your old stuff, you never know when they'll start doing inspections

Old 04-24-2016, 01:30 AM
nickthecanuck
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDave13
Yes, they outlawed standard capacity magazines so all you can purchase now are 10 round one... Oh wait..
You're talking about motorcycle emissions? My bad!

There really isn't anything left on the bike to take off apart from the mufflers and intake. The evap system is hidden on the softails and don't do anything to hurt performance.
What you really need is a decent tune to fatten up the fuel mixture a little bit.

What ever you do don't throw away your old stuff, you never know when they'll start doing inspections
California seems like such a cool state to live in but they sure have contempt for their residents the way they treat you poor guys.

Sounds like typical CARB BS, squeezing every poor sap who wants to richen his AFR a little bit while they simultaneously generate more than half their electricity with gas plants. I wonder which one pollutes more?

Old 04-24-2016, 10:23 AM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,090 Likes on 6,141 Posts

Originally Posted by nickthecanuck
California seems like such a cool state to live in but they sure have contempt for their residents the way they treat you poor guys.

Sounds like typical CARB BS, squeezing every poor sap who wants to richen his AFR a little bit while they simultaneously generate more than half their electricity with gas plants. I wonder which one pollutes more?
The state sucks..BTW F the government, I do what I please.

I would also add that tampering with any bike's emissions would more than likely violate fed EPA laws, just think about all those cat removals.

Whatever a person does they need to make sure they hang on to all of their old parts in case they have to go back on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EPA restrictions in California