Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

It's FIXED!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 08:54 AM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default It's FIXED!!!

Ok Guys,
Took the pig out yesterday for a ride. Rode about 300 miles. Oil Temp got up to 230* a couple of times but NO spark knock/ping/detonation! The temps for the most part hung out around 195-205* and when we got caught in that thunderstorm it dropped all the way to 170*. Changed the carb jet from a 170 to a 175, still needs just a little more I think. Plugs are still a little lean (white ends). Backed the ignition (Crane HI4-TC) off from the most radical manual advance, +9 down to a +2 and set the initial advance from a -4 to 0. I think I can play with this a little more but before I do, I have a question.

Question is...is it possible to "detune" (if in fact the stealership REALLY tuned it) and the bike feel like it has MORE power? I'm telling you guys, this damn thing ran like a MONSTER yesterday. AWESOME throttle response.

As for my motor kickback problem...my battery was low, wouldn't allow the ignition to roll it over hard enough to start.

One more question...I did have just a little valve chatter when pulling a hill but I was in the lower RPM range of what my cams are rated for, like 2200-2400 RPM range. I added Lucas Oils 104 octane booster and that seemed to help some. Is the gas supply having so much Ethanol dumped in it that it can affect these bikes? Should I fill up with race fuel when I can? Race fuel is only $1 buck more per gallon.

Anyway, thanks to everyone that lead me in the right direction of curing my detonation problem. It was bugging the hell out of me because I knew it could destroy a motor!

Old 08-27-2007, 09:03 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,693 Likes on 1,341 Posts
Default RE: It's FIXED!!!

What do you mean by "detune"? You can have too much advance, you can have too much gas, both will give you less power than "just right." I don't see octane booster helping valve noise. You sure it wasn't pinging instead?

Old 08-28-2007, 09:00 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: It's FIXED!!!

Ok Doc,
I decreased the advance...increased the jet...now it feels quicker. Please don't tell me I paid the stealership $400 bucks to tune my bike by a "trained professional" when I did it better in about 2 hours time.

As for the pinging/chatter...I thinkkkkkkk it's the slide in the carb throat rattling, a Mikuni. Do Mikuni's typically make this noise?