Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

MagnaFlow Pro Duals

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 09:16 PM
EJP777
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MagnaFlow Pro Duals

Guys, Here's my take on these new headers. I have a 2011 FLHX Street Glide 96", with Stage 1 SE air cleaner. Just removed the stock catalyst headers. I originally wanted to go with the Rinehart Xtreme True Dual system, but have heard that it's really difficult to get to the oil and trans fillers because of the way the rear header pipe is positioned. I do like the look of the Rinehart's, with the rear header pipe running straight down and under to the left. I wanted a header that runs the rear head pipe down under to the left. I just don't understand why so many companies run the front header pipe all the way down and under to the left side, making that pipe run so much longer than the rear header pipe. What about the performance benefit of equal length headers? Well, I liked the way these MagnaFlow headers looked in the Dennis Kirk catalog, they have the rear header running down and under to the left side and they are true duals, and the way the rear pipe runs, it leaves plenty of room to access the oil and trans fillers.
Well let me tell (Warn) you about these.. I have burned my right leg about 6 times in two weeks now riding with these headers. They stick out much further than they look in the pictures. The rear header pipe sticks out on the side of the motor more than any other pipes I've seen. I've tried to adjust them to get them pulled in closer to the motor, but they don't really adjust. There is less than a finger's width of space between the two pipes where they cross each other, right behind the right side floorboard. And the rear hanger bracket that bolts to the transmission, is not adjustable, it's welded solid to the pipe, so you really can't adjust the angle of the rear header. My understanding is that the black ceramic coating is supposed to run cooler. The ceramic finish in flat black does look really good, and it seems to be of good quality. But, these pipes throw off a lot of heat. More so than my stock catalyst headers. I've got a DynoJet Power Vision tuner, which is what the MagnaFlow tech recommended. Got it from the guys at Fuel Moto (Great company to deal with, by the way!). They set a custom tune for the headers, slip-ons and air cleaner that I have, and then I rode around to set the auto tune. I also installed an Ultracool oil cooler, with two fans and a thermostat. It works really well, and I can see an engine temperature drop with it installed. Now, I do not have the MagnaFlow recommended Top Guns slip-ons ($750. mufflers) installed, I have Rush 4" cans with 2" baffles, that were originally on my stock headers. It is loud and I would change the cans to better ones if I was going to keep the headers. BUT at this point, the novelty of what I thought was a cool looking header and a great design has faded away as my burned up leg heals. I'm just not at all happy at having spent $530.00 on headers that I don't like and that burn me every time I forget that I have to remember to place my right foot down out at an angle away from the bike, lest I hit the pipe and burn my leg again. Seriously, you can not put your right leg straight down while seated, or you will come in contact with the reader header pipe, or at the least feel the heat coming off the pipe. I'm now convinced that this is not a good design. I'm very disappointed with my purchase of these MagnaFlow Pro Duals headers. One of the reason's I purchased them was I had experience with the brand with their auto exhaust systems, and thought these would be of the highest quality and design. Also, Arlen Ness has put his name on them, must be good right? I wonder if he's ridden a touring model with these headers?
Bottom line; they give off a lot of heat, and are dangerously close to a riders leg. I'm getting a different header set-up asap.

Last edited by EJP777; 07-22-2016 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:28 PM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

Post a picture from the back of the bike above the saddlebag lid right down the right side of the bike so we can see how far the pipes are from the bike if you could please. How tall are you? Inseam? Do you ride in pants or shorts? I ask because I have had interest in these pipes at my shop and don't have any real world info on them...

I do know that when the Ness pipes cam out they were 'Ness by Magnaflow', now the Ness branded pipes are California legal and the Magnaflow brand is 49 state stuff...

Old 07-23-2016, 11:54 AM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

The rear headpipe appears to be protruding in website pics.

Old 07-23-2016, 02:41 PM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

I see that, and understand it has to because of the way it is run. I would just like a different perspective...

Old 07-23-2016, 04:10 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by dfwhockey17
I see that, and understand it has to because of the way it is run. I would just like a different perspective...
Exactly, pics needed.