Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

FLT stock exhaust question

Old 10-27-2016, 06:05 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,507 Likes on 2,132 Posts
Default FLT exhaust choice question

I have some questions about pipes for my 16 FLTRSX. Coming from Dyna's, the only question was 2:2 vs 2:1, with 2:1 being the performance winner, and some feeling that the 2:2 was the looks winner. I personally care more about performance then looks, so I want with a supertrapp on my last two.

Not that I have my first touring bike, I'm seeing 2:1:2's, "true dual's" and of course 2:1. I figure true dual's are basically 2:2's for baggers. If so, not interested. So 2:1:2 vs 2:1 seems to be the question.

To save money, and spread out the cost, I was considering getting the fuelmoto e-series slip on's. I'm a fan of fuelmoto stuff, and the e-series look like they will keep the volume where I want it, along with some performance gains.

Then a little ways down the road I could pick up their stainless jackpot 2:1:2 head pipes and get my dyno done. This route will cost me $479 for the slip on's, $474 for the head pipes down the road, and $200 for a license for my power vision.

So $680 now, and another 500 over the winter, and will give me a good system keeping the appealing dual pipe look for a total cost of about $1200 (not sure if buy the tune license, and the pipes from fuelmoto gives me their support of free maps, so that's a consideration I have to check)

Or I could just pick up their e-series 2:1 pipe and a power vision for their combo deal of $1000 and I'm done. I get a second power vision I can leave mounted on the road glide for the additional gauges, but I lose the look of dual pipes on the bike. Does seem like the better deal.

Like I said earlier, im usually not as concerned with looks vs performance, but on the bagger I feel a little differently. Not sure how I'll like the single pipe. Sigh.

Now that my long-winded opening is done, here are the real questions.

1) is there any real benefit to putting slip on's leaving the factory head pipes (and cat) on the bike. Will of course have a stage 1 a/c and a tune in any case.

2) is there any performance benefit of a 2:1 vs 2:1:2 (other then weight savings)

3) is running a tune that lowers the AFR going to hurt the cat, or make it really hot, if I leave the factory head pipes on?

4) is it worth putting a dynojet tune on an otherwise factory exhaust (if I hold off on pipes entirely) and only a stage 1 a/c (HD ventilator in my case)

Thanks, I appreciate anyone who has made it this far through this essay!

Last edited by Mchad; 10-28-2016 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:23 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,507 Likes on 2,132 Posts

Just bumping this as I completely changed the body... Trying to avoid a new post.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:44 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Mchad
1) is there any real benefit to putting slip on's leaving the factory head pipes (and cat) on the bike. Will of course have a stage 1 a/c and a tune in any case.

2) is there any performance benefit of a 2:1 vs 2:1:2 (other then weight savings)

3) is running a tune that lowers the AFR going to hurt the cat, or make it really hot, if I leave the factory head pipes on?

4) is it worth putting a dynojet tune on an otherwise factory exhaust (if I hold off on pipes entirely) and only a stage 1 a/c (HD ventilator in my case)

Thanks, I appreciate anyone who has made it this far through this essay!
A few thoughts, for what they are worth:

1) Possibly! It is common to decat the original pipes and use aftermarket mufflers.

2) A stock system is actually a 2-into-1, but with an extra muffler. So it gives benefits over the older set-up. However a purpose-designed aftermarket 2-into-1 will IMHO give benefits over the 2-1-2 system.

3) As soon as we start changing away from EPA settings IMHO the cat is likely to come to some harm, at least over the long term. I don't recall that subject being discussed, so not really sure!

4) I have seen it suggested that a tune-up on a bone stock bike can give worthwhile benefits - a sort of 'stealth' set-up! The later bikes are certainly performing better with EPA settings than earlier bikes.

Old 10-31-2016, 04:45 PM
RKGDCG03
Road Warrior

Received 535 Likes on 378 Posts

You can install a 'Ghost Pipe" on the left side if you want to have some symmetry of looks. I went the Fat Cat and don't miss the left pipe at all. If you think back to the early FLH all they had was 2-1 on the right side.
Which ever way you decide to go, i would do it all at once and be done with it if you can afford it.
I like my Fat Cat really well from a performance stand point. It has the perforated baffle as I am at 107, big bore and 125 squared but it is LOUD. If you are stock you can use the Louvered Baffle and it tones it down some.

Old 10-31-2016, 05:12 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Talking

To heck with symmetry! The muffler down each side is a modern thang, 'proper' Harleys have a 2-into-1......