Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Saddle bag support bracket keeps breaking..

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 09:00 PM
Jimmykoz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saddle bag support bracket keeps breaking..

Reason its under exhaust is because the exhaust links up with it so I figured this is good spot. Anyway. The support bracket on my 02 road kings keeps snapping. I just bought a brand new one from the dealer a month or so ago. I have no clue why it broke so quick. I kept welding it until it wouldn't hold for even one ride. Lost on what to do. The picture is from when I replaced it so you know exactly what I am talking. about any tips? It snaps at the corner.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:37 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

That poor bracket must be under stress in some way, so the challenge is to find what is causing it. I've had my 1990 Glide from new and never had any such problems, despite using several different exhaust layouts over the years.

I can only suggest that you carefully dismantle the various parts that come together in your photo, on both sides of the bike, to see what happens. It is possible that something is out of shape and applying stress to that corner.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:41 PM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

Those are notorious for breaking. Drag Specialties sells a chrome version that is 15% thicker than the stockers and so far we have not had any of them break...

Old 07-11-2017, 02:58 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,790 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
That poor bracket must be under stress in some way, so the challenge is to find what is causing it. I've had my 1990 Glide from new and never had any such problems, despite using several different exhaust layouts over the years.

I can only suggest that you carefully dismantle the various parts that come together in your photo, on both sides of the bike, to see what happens. It is possible that something is out of shape and applying stress to that corner.
I put thousands of miles on my 1992 FLHTCU and never encountered the problem either. We, Mr. Brown, must be / had been, living right :>)

Old 07-12-2017, 07:13 AM
Jimmykoz
Cruiser

thats what hat I am guessing. It took some strength to get the parts to all come together. It's a was a huge pain in the *** to replace it. I heard they were prone to breaking and have lived with that for years. The last time it snapped the exhaust itself also snapped at the bend. Had the exhaust welded along its the bracket. I've been thinkers my of just trashing the current setup and going with a shorter all right side exhaust and have it come out and end at the side instead of running all the way back. The issue of the bracket snapping has been a thorn in my side for too long.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:22 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
I put thousands of miles on my 1992 FLHTCU and never encountered the problem either. We, Mr. Brown, must be / had been, living right :>)
Or just fortunate!

Old 07-12-2017, 07:27 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Originally Posted by Jimmykoz
thats what hat I am guessing. It took some strength to get the parts to all come together. It's a was a huge pain in the *** to replace it. I heard they were prone to breaking and have lived with that for years. The last time it snapped the exhaust itself also snapped at the bend. Had the exhaust welded along its the bracket. I've been thinkers my of just trashing the current setup and going with a shorter all right side exhaust and have it come out and end at the side instead of running all the way back. The issue of the bracket snapping has been a thorn in my side for too long.
If your bike has take a thump from behind at some time in the past, there could be dark forces at work putting strain into the system. The fact your exhaust has snapped seems to support that. Time for some investigative research with the tool kit!

Old 07-12-2017, 05:47 PM
Jimmykoz
Cruiser

If your bike has take a thump from behind at some time in the past, there could be dark forces at work putting strain into the system. The fact your exhaust has snapped seems to support that. Time for some investigative research with the tool kit!
About as much research as I can do is check along the exhaust. With the exception of the break its fine. The saddle crash bar has been welded in another spot but that wont cause the issue. It was down in its previous life by the original owner. Im guessing that may have caused an issue that i cant seem to see.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:46 AM
grbrown
Club Member

That other weld is a further source of suspicion! Being an engineer I personally would dismantle the entire saddlebag and rear guard assembly, just to see what happens. I suspect that something is out of shape and putting strain on that recent fracture. The rear guard is probably the strongest component, so that may be out of shape and the source of the problem.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:39 PM
head
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Looking at the pic in your last post, I see that your fender is setup with no bumper. That bike would have had a rear bumper that bolted to the fender and to both side supports. IF you don't have a bumper, you need the hidden bracket that the Road King Classics came with. If there is not one on it now, that's the problem.

Quick Reply: Saddle bag support bracket keeps breaking..