Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

overheating and shutting down after thunderheader installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 10:04 AM
PB_Vroom
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating and shutting down after thunderheader installation

Hi. I had some used thunderheader pipes, new fuel injectors, and a stage one upgrade by a private party, on my 2006 deluxe (FLSTNI) . 27,000 miles. I was told it would be okay with the stock air cleaner and no tuner. I ran the bike for about 4000 miles on a trip. It stared making a new strange noise at about 3000 miles. At the end of the trip, after riding for about 6 hours that day...Got stuck in traffic, the idle went erratic, and it overheated and died. I took it on another long trip...same situation after getting stuck in traffic 95 degree day. Had to push it off the road, let it cool about 30 min, on startup, had the same issue, went a mile in traffic, it shut down again.

When it's about to overheat, the idle changes to a lope, struggles, I get poor throttle response, like it's missing, or running on one cylinder...I do not have parade mode. it has thrown no codes, no engine light, or any other indication it is going to overheat and die, except for the drastic change in idle.
Pulling the plugs revealed it was running extremely lean. The computer was checked, at the dealer.

Trying to chase down the problem, I just had new plugs, PC tuner, high flow air cleaner, and oil cooler installed, at the dealership, to try and remedy the problem. Began to ride it home, about 10 miles and $1500 later, hot day, in traffic. Same thing. The idle significantly changes, it lopes, struggles, I get hesitant throttle response, and it wants to die. No codes, no engine light it did the same thing on a 75 degree day, average wait time at lights.. The oil temp is 250 degrees. The compression tested good, the cylinders are not damaged or scored after being looked at with a camera.
Now suspecting electrical issues?

I appreciate any input on why I am having trouble? Thanks

Last edited by PB_Vroom; 08-26-2017 at 04:08 PM. Reason: thought I could better describe the problem
Old 08-26-2017, 04:55 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

Stop getting it stuck in traffic and overheating it! It's air cooled.

It's probably the eitms coming one

Old 08-27-2017, 01:01 AM
PB_Vroom
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your reply. I would love to stop getting stuck in traffic, but not always an option, especially on long hauls . It happens at long stop lights as well, after its been running a while.
My bike is a 2006, fuel injected. The eitms was not available until 2007, but HD had a different heat management system in place. I didn't have any problems before I switched my exhaust from stock....but I will definitely look into this! Thanks so much!

Old 08-27-2017, 01:01 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

Its your tune or you have an intake lean. Your bike is probably not tuned for the new exhaust. Being that yours is a 2006 (mine is a 2006 Dyna and has eitms) but doesn't have 02 sensors to adjust anything it runs in open loop. And the tune is not a good match for your exhaust. Find a new map or find a new tuner. Thunderheader has maps on their website for pcv/powervision and tts. Dynojet has maps on their website for pcv and powervision

Old 08-28-2017, 09:01 AM
jangler14
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sometimes when stuck in traffic it is better to shut off the air cooled bike and push it to avoid overheating your air cooled bike.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:08 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,659 Likes on 946 Posts

stop trying to be cheep get a dino tune