Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

new exhaust and ecu bike wont start now

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 12:12 PM
j8kenb8ke
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new exhaust and ecu bike wont start now

Hey all,
Newbie here. I look forward to getting to know this community. So to get to it. I recently purchased a 15 roadglide with 2800 miles so it was completely stock. I added a Arlen Ness big sucker first , i ran with that for a couple weeks until my exhaust came in didnt have any issues running withouth retuning . I bought the RC Components rcx 2 into 1 and the vance and hines fuel pak. I finally installed both and after finishing all instructions I was ready to start the bike up. It kicked right over and sounded great. I let it idle for about 10 minutes to let the exhaust cook. There seemed to be no issue. I decided to ride it. Got about a block away and I stalled out. I waited a few minutes and tried to start and it wouldnt. I reset my fuel pak to the stock ecu map. Still nothing . So its been a week and ive called vance and hines customer service and we tried a few things and nothing has worked. But when I try to start it, it wants to turn over and there a light smoke coming from my air cleaner. So any advice or thoughts on this matter would be awesome.
thanks in advance

Old 07-26-2018, 12:19 PM
Y2K WG
3rd Gear

Sometimes it is the most obvious things so I have to ask....did you check the physical fuel level in the tank ? Not just what the gage says.

Also, could there be some sort of anti-theft installed that you weren't told about when you bought it ?

Old 07-26-2018, 02:01 PM
j8kenb8ke
6th Gear

hey Y2k,
Ya i usually look into that as well. There isnt another system besides the harley one in which i do have my fob and pin set. Also I filled up the tank when first got it home. Also checked the battery and thats good as well.

Old 07-26-2018, 02:32 PM
Y2K WG
3rd Gear

OK couple of questions...

1) You say it "wants' to turn over, what exactly does that mean ? Does is crank slow or not at all ?
2) When it stalled, were you under way or just taking off or slowing down or ????

Old 07-26-2018, 04:00 PM
j8kenb8ke
6th Gear

It cranks pretty good and normal. I was just cruising at about 40mph.

Old 07-26-2018, 04:53 PM
Y2K WG
3rd Gear

Two things are needed for an engine to run, fuel and spark at the right time ( this is assuming everything mechanical is working which it sounds like it is ).

Do you hear the fuel pump run when you key it on ? I have a 2016 Road King and I can hear mine run for about 1 second when I key it up...your kill switch is
in the run position I am assuming.

If you hear the pump run then I would pull a plug wire and check for spark while cranking.

That is about it for quick checks without going into deeper diagnostics which you may or may not be comfortable with or equipped to tackle.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:41 PM
j8kenb8ke
6th Gear

i do hear it. ill try the plug tomorrow. thanks for the tips .

Old 07-27-2018, 01:07 AM
baloot-boy
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I would focus on the changes you just made first. Exhaust and tuner. With the exhaust, did you reinstall the o2 sensors where they should be? Maybe mixed them up? Any other things you do during that time that were not part of the install, like pull the plug wires and accidentally put them back in reverse? How did you check your battery?

Old 07-27-2018, 05:34 PM
j8kenb8ke
6th Gear

I did have the sensors backwards. I put them back to normal. It sounds like it wants to start even more but just won't get there. I havent pulled any other wires. (That I know of). I checked that battery with voltage meter. And i very had it on a tender over night due to all the cranking I've been doing.

Old 07-28-2018, 12:38 AM
IKnowNot
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

I would step back here …

It was running OK before you installed the exhaust and FP3 (it is a FP3, correct?)

Then it started, ran for a while then stalled and would not run.
(Were you just running the downloaded map, or were you running the auto tuning?
What map were you using?)
Was that run logged when it stalled?

Then you flashed the original map, it would not run.

Then you found out you had the O2 sensors connected incorrectly (as I recall it should be black=back,) then switched them, and it still would not start. (but now have the original tune installed, because you re-installed it.)

Did you check for any codes the bike is throwing?

If I were you, I would first disconnect the FP3, then check for codes (there are thousands of threads how to do that.)

Then re-connect the FP3 and search for codes using it, comparing what you found before with what you found using the FP3.

If you do not find anything pointing to your problem from the trouble codes I would clear the codes, load a map suitable for your bike and configuration, then try again. See what if any codes come back.

Quick Reply: new exhaust and ecu bike wont start now