Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

American Custom Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 06:30 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts
Default American Custom Exhaust

Anyone here ever dealt with them?

good, bad or ugly?

Old 08-05-2018, 03:55 PM
Warchild1$
Intermediate
Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the touring bomber on mine (14 Ultra Limited) for several years now. We ride a lot of longer trips and didn't want something to loud. I got the mid sound baffle, not bad but wanted a bit more bark, drilled 4 holes in the left baffle and two in the right, Sounds perfect now, looks factory and for couple hundred bills can't be beat.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:09 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member

Cool. I'm thinking about the bomber too. But listening to the sounds on the computer is a bit skewed....lol. I'm leaning toward the deep growl sound more than the mid range. But with my old Wideglide I had to use earplugs all the time to keep my ears from ringing after long rides......heck it even started getting me on short rides too. Now the Ultra I have with the stock exhaust is really quiet so want to get a bit more sound without going back to needing earplugs. I had a pro pipe 2-1 Vance and Hines on my wideglide. Sounds like the quality is good on the stuff American makes though based on what I am reading. Thanks

Old 08-06-2018, 04:48 PM
Ddieselsmoke
Tourer
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Yes I have for my 17 softail. Lots of compliments for the sound. Not too loud, and they have a deep rumble. My problem is that they sound awesome at 3k rpms (80mph).😎

Old 08-06-2018, 04:49 PM
Ddieselsmoke
Tourer
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Let me clarify They sound awesome at any speed, I just like to fly.

Old 08-06-2018, 05:34 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member

Lol, gotcha Ddiesel.....I ordered a pair. Should be here in a week or so.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:33 AM
harkon
Road Captain
Received 145 Likes on 106 Posts

I had the Bombers for a while. They were okay with the stock header. When I installed the Dresser Duals they were way too loud. Annoyingly so. I added the mid-rumble baffles and the volume was about right, I just didn't dig the sound. It was too "farty". There is a sound element present I just didn't like. Like it's noisy enough, but it's just noise. I ended up changing to SE FatShotz. They sounded pretty good. Recently I changed from Dresser Duals to FM Jackpot Super Duals and HiRoller mufflers. This has a deep rumble and tone you won't get from the American Customs mufflers. None of this is to say that it's at all bad, but heads up. When I ordered the mufflers, I also ordered a decatted header. The header was damaged in shipping and American Customs did not return any emails or telephone calls. When I did get to actually speak to someone, they could only tell me that someone would call back. No one ever did. It became too much trouble for the $100 I spent on the header so I just let it go. They, in my experience only, seem to be that company that have great customer service when you are spending money, not so much when you need their help. Free support, is what it is, but really, I wanted a header that wasn't bent .... never did get that from them. I didn't even get the benefit of having that discussion ... nothing!

Old 08-24-2018, 11:41 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member

Got a pair, all installed. Nice sound, a bit of a rumble, better than being so quiet you could hardly tell it was running.

Next I'd like to add a stage 1 kit, then get it tuned. Should run better after thay. Now it just sounds good....lol.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:52 PM
antrome
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glideridemike
Got a pair, all installed. Nice sound, a bit of a rumble, better than being so quiet you could hardly tell it was running.

Next I'd like to add a stage 1 kit, then get it tuned. Should run better after thay. Now it just sounds good....lol.
A bit of a rumble is what I'm looking for. Which baffle option did you go with?

Old 08-30-2018, 05:45 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member

The loudest. I figure if I want it quieter I'll add a baffle, but so far its good.

Quick Reply: American Custom Exhaust