Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Kerker Stout Too Loud!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 12:02 PM
uwiik
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Kerker Stout Too Loud!!

Running Kerker Stout with catless duals on my 2015 RGS, it is way too loud for my taste.. I love the tone but hate the loudness. Is there any way to tame the loudness?

Thanks!!!

Old 09-21-2018, 07:48 PM
Jewild
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have these same pipes on my 16 Limited, and honestly mine aren't any louder then the stock, and I'm very disappointed with the sound.
For the price I expected more.
Wish you were in the states, I'd trade you

Old 09-21-2018, 08:58 PM
nedster
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Kerker

Originally Posted by Jewild
I have these same pipes on my 16 Limited, and honestly mine aren't any louder then the stock, and I'm very disappointed with the sound.
For the price I expected more.
Wish you were in the states, I'd trade you

if you have the cat in the headpipe it will suppress the volume.

Old 09-22-2018, 12:59 AM
IKnowNot
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

Just for those that don’t know, from what I have learned:

SuperTrapp makes several different mufflers called Stout for touring bikes.

They make 4” SuperTrapp Stout mufflers for ‘95-’09 bikes (for those without a cat, that includes the so-called 49 state bikes, but not international or California models.)

They make 4” SuperTrapp Stout mufflers for ‘10-16,

Yet another for the M8 …

They also make Kerker Stout mufflers in similar categories.

The Kerker versions are purposely made louder then the SuperTrapp version.

In both categories the 10-16 versions can not be used on a cat-less bike (they were designed for a head-pipe with a cat …. if you have the cat removed you should be using the ‘95-09 version. If you don;t, they will be louder and tinnier then intended.)

Having said that, to the OP, if you have the correct muffler installed, where exactly is the problem with the sound? I found my SuperTrapp Stouts were obnoxious during decell, and it was a task to quiet them down. They are purposely made (from what the manufacturer says) to cause higher back pressure so as to increase torque. This makes them hard to tune, but it can be done.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:59 PM
uwiik
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by IKnowNot
Just for those that don’t know, from what I have learned:

SuperTrapp makes several different mufflers called Stout for touring bikes.

They make 4” SuperTrapp Stout mufflers for ‘95-’09 bikes (for those without a cat, that includes the so-called 49 state bikes, but not international or California models.)

They make 4” SuperTrapp Stout mufflers for ‘10-16,

Yet another for the M8 …

They also make Kerker Stout mufflers in similar categories.

The Kerker versions are purposely made louder then the SuperTrapp version.

In both categories the 10-16 versions can not be used on a cat-less bike (they were designed for a head-pipe with a cat …. if you have the cat removed you should be using the ‘95-09 version. If you don;t, they will be louder and tinnier then intended.)

Having said that, to the OP, if you have the correct muffler installed, where exactly is the problem with the sound? I found my SuperTrapp Stouts were obnoxious during decell, and it was a task to quiet them down. They are purposely made (from what the manufacturer says) to cause higher back pressure so as to increase torque. This makes them hard to tune, but it can be done.
That was my mistake. My bike is 2015, running catless V&H dresser duals and I did the same mistake as so many other by getting Kerker Stout for '10 and above so it is LOUD AF....on decell it routinely made my ear rings but I definitely wouldn't call the sound loud but tinny sounding, it is definitely sound loud and muscular, just too loud for my taste. I eventually ordered the '09 and below core kit from Kerker, haven't got the chance to install it but I can see the difference between the two design. '09 and below comes with slightly smaller diameter core and there is a tappered cone welded on an angle by the opening of the core. I am pretty sure these will tame down the loudness significantly and also provides better anti reversion effect.