Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

American Custom Bomber Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 01:14 PM
cdirk
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default American Custom Bomber Mufflers

I have been looking at these mufflers made from stock slip ons. I see the american iron magazine article showing a decent improvmement by putting their powerflex headpipe and the bomber mufflers on. The article states that the deep growl baffle produced the most HP and TQ. The Dyno chart looks like a pretty smooth line.

I called the company and they said that the mufflers have an outer lining baffle in the mufflers even though they look like its straight thru and that the baffle system in the header pipe power chamber provides adequate backpressure as well. I asked if these mufflers were just bored out stock mufflers with no baffle so like wide open mufflers like drag pipes. Outer baffle system for the deep growl sound comment was what they gave me. What is the outer baffle they speak of?

Do these modified stock mufflers have a baffle in the deep growl form? I know there is a mid rumble baffle and an almost stock baffle. For those of you who have used these in the deep growl form let me know if there is a baffle inside. Wondering how these perform. They sound good in the clips I have heard but dont know how there couldn't be a loss in power down low if they are just mufflers with baffles bored out of them and the tone flex tab welded on them for baffle and end cap installation. It doesn't look like they add anything to the deep growl mufflers other than the tone flex tab.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:17 PM
harkon
Road Captain
Received 145 Likes on 106 Posts

These are the sorts of answers you get from them. The mufflers are gutted stock cans. There is some packing and a perforated sheet holding the packing in place. It still makes for a pretty big straight through opening. These are pretty loud with a non-cat header.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:24 AM
cdirk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by harkon
These are the sorts of answers you get from them. The mufflers are gutted stock cans. There is some packing and a perforated sheet holding the packing in place. It still makes for a pretty big straight through opening. These are pretty loud with a non-cat header.
I feel the same way. A bit vague when you ask questions. They do seem like just gutted stock slip ons with a screen holding packing in place, unless you get the mid rumble baffle. Seems like you would lose some power down low with these even though the American Iron article says the open deep growl version produced the most power but that could be in upper RPM's. I am thinking best to pass on the mufflers, get something with more testing in the design. leaning towards fuel moto outlaws or S&S Slash cuts.

I think I am going to get the powerflex header though to get rid of the cat. Contrary to what many have said its more than a stock gutted pipe. Looking at some threads on the indian motorcycle sites there is a pic of what is inside. They gut the cat, weld an oval piece in the open space, then weld an angled plate inside the oval to split the air in the chamber to create back-pressure and split the air between both mufflers more.

Its a stock header so fitment shouldn't be an issue, and they are an american company. Two reasons I am going with this headpipe. Will keep my other headpipe with the cat just in case I need it as a backup for inspections or any issues that arise.

Old 09-18-2018, 05:14 PM
harkon
Road Captain
Received 145 Likes on 106 Posts

Better hope the header doesn't get damaged in shipment. I have one with a bent flange they would not address at all, Wouldn't even return my calls or emails. I ended up having to buy a different header, definitely no dollars saved there. You can have my bent one for free if you want.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:20 AM
2013_FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 1,043 Likes on 258 Posts

My friend who lives in Danvers just installed their gutted header and mufflers. I was surprised how good it sounded. Nice rumble, not too loud and sounded great when he took off.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:43 PM
cdirk
Intermediate

The header came in today. Looks good. I took a look Inside the header with a flashlight and you can see the oval they welded in the space left by the CAT and the angled plate that diverts more air to the left side of the pipes. Looking forward to seeing how it performs with the slip on's.

Now trying to decide if I want to install now with my SE Street Cannons or wait until winter and install with a set of Fuel Moto Outlaws or the S&S Slash cuts.

Last edited by cdirk; 09-19-2018 at 04:44 PM. Reason: addition
Old 09-20-2018, 03:48 AM
2013_FLHTK
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cdirk
The header came in today. Looks good. I took a look Inside the header with a flashlight and you can see the oval they welded in the space left by the CAT and the angled plate that diverts more air to the left side of the pipes. Looking forward to seeing how it performs with the slip on's.

Now trying to decide if I want to install now with my SE Street Cannons or wait until winter and install with a set of Fuel Moto Outlaws or the S&S Slash cuts.
What are your plans for tuning after you install the header?

Old 09-20-2018, 05:14 AM
cdirk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2013_FLHTK
What are your plans for tuning after you install the header?
already have Fuelpak 3 on the bike

Old 09-20-2018, 07:41 AM
2013_FLHTK
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cdirk

Might as well throw on the SE SC mufflers since you already have the FP3. Its going to sound a lot different without the CAT.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:47 AM
cdirk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2013_FLHTK
Might as well throw on the SE SC mufflers since you already have the FP3. Its going to sound a lot different without the CAT.
Yah I thought about doing that but from what I have read and heard the SE SC mufflers don't sound good after the CAT is gone. Which is why I was thinking I would hold off.

Quick Reply: American Custom Bomber Mufflers