Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Wrapping baffles on V&H High-Output exhust

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 02:13 PM
RedShuffler
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Wrapping baffles on V&H High-Output exhust

I know this subject is probably covered here somewhere and I'm not looking for it with the correct search. I think my question probably applies to other systems as well.
I recently traded up to a 2015 FLHTKL and it came with V&H exhaust system, headers and all. The High-Output slip-ons have no packing around the baffle and the bike seems to do okay with the tune, (it rarely has decel popping) but it's a little loud for me. I like loud, but after a good while on the bike it's mind-numbing. V&H sells a part called a baffle sock; part A260FG shown here: https://www.revzilla.com/assets/0002/0011/D239IN.pdf
They want 44 bucks each (and I'm sure shipping would have to be added on to that). Would there be anything wrong with using a generic wrap like this: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...le-packing-kit instead of the "baffle sock"?
I'm not crazy about the tone of these as-is, I was hoping some packing may take a little high-end click off the note and give it a little more bottom end. Would it change the tune enough to even matter if I wrap them? Thanks for the advice fellas.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:38 PM
Kevin R
Tourer
Received 129 Likes on 73 Posts

I bought my bike with the pro pipe. I pulled the baffle and wrapped it in a generic baffle wrap. It didn't change the performance but it did quiet it down a bit.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Larry (06-04-2023)
Old 11-15-2018, 09:51 AM
Redfish911
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I had some Rush slip-ons with fiberglass material around the baffles. I replaced it a couple of times. Then I wrapped them in stainless steel wool with fiberglass around the ss and got the sound and longevity I was looking for. Make sure the stainless is rated for mufflers.

Last edited by Redfish911; 11-15-2018 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:09 AM
harkon
Road Captain
Received 145 Likes on 106 Posts

Nothing wrong with generic packing. Some, as mentioned above use more durable materials. Some have even wrapped with fire place rope. It's a high heat rope like packing for fireplaces and such for dealing purposes. Likely you can get at Lowe's or similar. The results are generally a bit louder than loose packing, but should last indefinitely. Results will vary as well with Size of rope and how tightly it's wrapped.

Old 12-21-2018, 03:56 PM
jmeyer58
Road Captain
Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

Ceramic fiber is a little more durable than fiberglass and withstands the heat.

Something like this should do both mufflers
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ceramic-Fib...EAAOSwjjpbD4vN

Last edited by jmeyer58; 12-21-2018 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Fix link
Old 06-02-2023, 04:08 PM
Ruger12
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmeyer58
Ceramic fiber is a little more durable than fiberglass and withstands the heat.

Something like this should do both mufflers
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ceramic-Fib...EAAOSwjjpbD4vN
I tried that stuff. I did it twice and twice it blew out. Tight as hell and wrapped with stainless wire. Blew out after 20 minutes. Don't know how I can get it tighter and it's not durable.

Old 06-03-2023, 11:19 PM
propflux01
Road Master

Received 262 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by RedShuffler
I know this subject is probably covered here somewhere and I'm not looking for it with the correct search. I think my question probably applies to other systems as well.
I recently traded up to a 2015 FLHTKL and it came with V&H exhaust system, headers and all. The High-Output slip-ons have no packing around the baffle and the bike seems to do okay with the tune, (it rarely has decel popping) but it's a little loud for me. I like loud, but after a good while on the bike it's mind-numbing. V&H sells a part called a baffle sock; part A260FG shown here: https://www.revzilla.com/assets/0002/0011/D239IN.pdf
They want 44 bucks each (and I'm sure shipping would have to be added on to that). Would there be anything wrong with using a generic wrap like this: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...le-packing-kit instead of the "baffle sock"?
I'm not crazy about the tone of these as-is, I was hoping some packing may take a little high-end click off the note and give it a little more bottom end. Would it change the tune enough to even matter if I wrap them? Thanks for the advice fellas.
I have a set of those pipes. Mine had wrapped fiberglass in them. I believe that was the 'baffle sock" you were talking about. The product you linked to from Revzilla, I had ordered as well. Not worth it. Go with a better packing. There is barely enough in it to wrap the pipe, and with that, wont affect the noise much. Go aftermarket, there are several types that will work. The ceramic is more heat resistant, but some brands are like the one you described using. Mine didn't blow out, but it did change the tone for the worse, made it drone.. If I ever re-wrap them it will be with plain fiberglass mat.

Old 06-04-2023, 11:52 AM
Ruger12
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried twice to fill two gaps on my baffle (Fitzgerald exhaust) with ceramic insulation. A pain to work with. I had lots of stainless wired to keep in tight. Still blew out. Fireplace rope gasket is next to try.

Old 06-04-2023, 12:02 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,784 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Repacking the wrap on the baffles is a simple job ... Generic packing works fine ... Most dirt bike shops have it on the shelf ... Wrap the baffles then use masking tape to keep the wrapping in place when re-installing the baffles ... Using wire ( safety wire etc ) can cause discoloring ) hot spots ) on the chrome ... Seen it happen ... Good Luck

Old 06-04-2023, 12:07 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,698 Likes on 1,153 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruger12
. Fireplace rope gasket is next to try.
This is a good option and I have used it a number of times.

WP