Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

95-08 head pipes on a 14 touring?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 09:07 PM
speegs
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95-08 head pipes on a 14 touring?

I have a question about kuryakyn exhaust. I bought a set of used Kuryakyn true dual head pipes for cheap online but after some research realized they were for the 95-08 model touring family. I ride a 14 streetglide.

From what I can tell they fit. I've got everything mounted but not tightened yet and I dont see any major issues. The guy i bought them from said they were on his '12 streetglide, which would be the same frame as mine. The O2 sensors have to be re routed but they reach, and the floor boards fit. The rear pipe runs over the trans rather than under, and is very close to the harness cover on the left side of the bike but not touching. Does anyone know of any major concerns doing something like this? It's obviously ideal to run the correct year but if it all lines up is there anything else I should really be concerned about? Thanks

Old 11-09-2018, 10:20 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I don't know if it's a problem or not....but you could do some exhaust wrap for piece of mind. I put true dual's on my softail an the heat on my left leg was pretty bad so I pulled the heat shield an put some wrap under it for about a foot an it really helped. How does the rear pipe bracket mount? I picked up some S&S true duals without brackets for $80 that look really good an have both O2 sensor holes an I'm wondering how to make brackets work. I have a car clamp that goes around the pipe with a thick rubber isolater I could bolt to the mount on/by the oil pan.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:50 PM
speegs
1st Gear

Great question...havent figured that out yet haha. When the muffler is secured and the head pipe is bolted up to the exhaust port it sits fine off of everything else pretty solid. I'm not exactly sure how else to do it because the normal mounting hardware is on the bottom

Old 11-10-2018, 09:43 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member

the older bikes used a bracket that mounted to the starter to hold the rear pipe. My softail was like what you're doing now....the pipe bolted to the head an the muffler bolted to the frame....BUT the softail is a solid mount so the engine didn't move. Will the newer O2 sensors fit in those bungs? I thought they were different sizes....12 mm vs 18 mm.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:46 PM
speegs
1st Gear

I didn't think about engine movement....The pipes have 2 sets of bungs 12 and 18mm. The 12mm O2 sensors sit on these pipes at about the same distance down the new pipes as the stock exhaust, I had to re route the rear to the other side of the bike but its away from the pipe and heat should not be a concern. I am a bit concerned now about engine movement, that's a great point.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:59 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member

on the left side the factory exhaust mounts to the trans side cover....the rear could mount to the starter like the older bikes. just don't mount anything to the frame so it can move with the engine. I noticed the mufflers mount to the frame for the saddlebags with rubber isolators so being that far from the motor an using the rubber mounts it must give enough. IF I go with the 08 exhaust I might modify one of these to work with the pipe under the frame an mount it like the later bikes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-E...xe4H:rk:3:pf:0