Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

I think HD improved the sound of SE Street Cannons

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 11:39 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts
Default I think HD improved the sound of SE Street Cannons

I recently installed SE Street Cannons on my ‘17 M8 EG Ultra Limited. I bought these from Surdyke at the end of September ‘18. The have the slash tips. Everything is stock except the SC slip ons. No download. One thing I noticed was that they no longer have the Screaming Eagle emblem, as it’s replaced by a painted logo.

At the first start up I noticed that they sounded much better than the Street Cannons I had installed on my traded in ‘17 M8 Road King. At idle they have a slightly more pronounced rumble without the muted sound of the OEMs. When I crack the throttle, they really bark...much more so than the OEMs and more so than I remember the SCs sounded on my Road King.

When cruising at 3,000 RPMs they have a nice, but not too loud, rumble that I can feel in my back. When I open the throttle, they really bark! It’s hard to describe the sound, but they sound like the Vance and Hines that I have on my TriGlide.

Yesterday, when I was riding with some Patriot Guard buddies, they immediately noticed how good they sound.

I have a K&N air cleaner and the SEPST that I have not yet installed. I’ll probably do that in a few weeks.

My plan to break my warranty with non-EPA slip ons has changed. I’m quite pleased with how these Street Cannons sound.

So, I’m curious...has anyone else noticed that the newer Street Cannons have a much better sound than the earlier ones? Did HD redesign them?

Edit: oh yeah...when I get an opportunity, I’ll record a sound clip.

Last edited by TriGeezer; 12-12-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:04 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 443 Posts

I haven't heard the new ones but was leaning toward them on my 19 SGS just because of Warranty. I am glad to hear that they sound good. I am not looking for ear splitting sound, just better than the stock junk.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:28 PM
Ddieselsmoke
Tourer
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

They may sound louder due to being on a M8, slightly larger engine so more noise coming from them. Just a guess.
Question for you, did you have any decel pop with just the cannons ?

Old 12-17-2018, 01:31 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

Previous bike was an M8 as well.

Old 12-17-2018, 03:52 PM
Erilflynn
Road Master

Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
I recently installed SE Street Cannons on my ‘17 M8 EG Ultra Limited. I bought these from Surdyke at the end of September ‘18. The have the slash tips. Everything is stock except the SC slip ons. No download. One thing I noticed was that they no longer have the Screaming Eagle emblem, as it’s replaced by a painted logo.

At the first start up I noticed that they sounded much better than the Street Cannons I had installed on my traded in ‘17 M8 Road King. At idle they have a slightly more pronounced rumble without the muted sound of the OEMs. When I crack the throttle, they really bark...much more so than the OEMs and more so than I remember the SCs sounded on my Road King.

When cruising at 3,000 RPMs they have a nice, but not too loud, rumble that I can feel in my back. When I open the throttle, they really bark! It’s hard to describe the sound, but they sound like the Vance and Hines that I have on my TriGlide.

Yesterday, when I was riding with some Patriot Guard buddies, they immediately noticed how good they sound.

I have a K&N air cleaner and the SEPST that I have not yet installed. I’ll probably do that in a few weeks.

My plan to break my warranty with non-EPA slip ons has changed. I’m quite pleased with how these Street Cannons sound.

So, I’m curious...has anyone else noticed that the newer Street Cannons have a much better sound than the earlier ones? Did HD redesign them?

Edit: oh yeah...when I get an opportunity, I’ll record a sound clip.

I have them also on my new RG. They do sound good. I'm also waiting to add a SE air cleaner and Harley tuner. Question: were your SC's on you Road King also 4 1/2" ? Maybe that is whey they sound better.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:42 PM
phildrz
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just bought a pair today for my '19 SG and will report back as to the sound. Had a '17 RG with Rineharts and loved the sound but felt like I lost some throttle twist grunt. The stock pipes don't sound that bad after getting some miles on them. When I bought the '17 I did not like the way the Street Cannons sounded thus installing the Rineharts. Hope these Street Cannons have a throaty rumble instead of the raspy sound of the '17 Street Cannons!

Old 01-17-2019, 07:41 PM
QAfred
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

If you like the slip ons you should hear their complete exhaust system and it has the SE emblem: While researching exhaust systems I discovered HDMC installed the cat converters in front pipe, probably to save on platinum costs. It is super restrictive so I decided to purchase the full SE exhaust system which moves cat converters into the slip ons where they belong. I also purchased the high flow intake and the SE pro tuner so I can tune- remap ECM on my own (anything to stay out of the stealership).

The SE slip-ons you buy for stock front pipes do not have cat converters in them and won't fit on the full exhaust system so you can't mix them up-bypass the cat converter entirely when using SE hardware. They sound really good, unlike the SE slip ons that go on stock pipes which are a bit tame and I read a lot of complaints about.

The SE tuner and associated cables you need to hook up to the ECM connector and software you download on your laptop makes it a really easy DIY to tune yourself.
I installed complete exhaust system and tuned it in less than 6 hours, which for a first time is not too bad IMO.

HDMC claims you get a 10 percent increase in HP and torque with this complete stage 1, vs what I call a partial stage 1 if you just get slip ons over crappy front pipes

Last edited by QAfred; 01-17-2019 at 07:42 PM. Reason: typos
Old 01-17-2019, 09:03 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ddieselsmoke
They may sound louder due to being on a M8, slightly larger engine so more noise coming from them. Just a guess.
Question for you, did you have any decel pop with just the cannons ?
Sorry for the delayed reply. No decal,pop.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:04 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Erilflynn
I have them also on my new RG. They do sound good. I'm also waiting to add a SE air cleaner and Harley tuner. Question: were your SC's on you Road King also 4 1/2" ? Maybe that is whey they sound better.
Good question. I think they were the same.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:33 AM
phildrz
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by phildrz
Just bought a pair today for my '19 SG and will report back as to the sound. Had a '17 RG with Rineharts and loved the sound but felt like I lost some throttle twist grunt. The stock pipes don't sound that bad after getting some miles on them. When I bought the '17 I did not like the way the Street Cannons sounded thus installing the Rineharts. Hope these Street Cannons have a throaty rumble instead of the raspy sound of the '17 Street Cannons!
Installed the SE Cannons and they are what I’m looking for. I didn’t loose that low end throttle twist torque, tame noise level at low throttle input, and puts out a good growl when the throttle is opened up. Still am partial to the Rinehart sound though. I think a stock motor with stage 1 upgrades the SE Cannons are a good choice. With some engine work and displacement increase the Rineharts will probably be better.

Last edited by phildrz; 01-19-2019 at 10:38 AM.

Quick Reply: I think HD improved the sound of SE Street Cannons