Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Baffle questions.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:23 AM
BrandonK
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baffle questions.

So I bought a 2016 FXDLS that is bone stock. However the original owner has cut the baffles out. I've done a little research and am now worried about frying my engine from running too lean and too hot. I put in a 300 mile ride on it so far but that's about it.

Is it going to harm my engine that bad? What are your thoughts? Is there a cheap option to get by until I can afford the pipes and tuner that I want? Maybe buy a tuner first then re tune when I get an exhaust? Thanks in advance!

Old 02-11-2019, 08:32 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 712 Likes on 624 Posts

stock muffler?
are they blind ended? did he leave the perf tube?
if so, get a welsh plug, some say freeze plug and install it to blind the back of the perf tube. make sure you measure and go slow, if it goes out the back, you will have to pull the pipes and hopefully be able to remove it.
if that is not an option, just buy some baffles and install, put fastener on the bottom or rear so it cannot be seen.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:25 AM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonK
So I bought a 2016 FXDLS that is bone stock. However the original owner has cut the baffles out. I've done a little research and am now worried about frying my engine from running too lean and too hot. I put in a 300 mile ride on it so far but that's about it.

Is it going to harm my engine that bad? What are your thoughts? Is there a cheap option to get by until I can afford the pipes and tuner that I want? Maybe buy a tuner first then re tune when I get an exhaust? Thanks in advance!
It shouldn't hurt anything but it wont run like it should. I would either find a set of slipons that you like with a tuner, or just get the exhaust you want with a tuner. The tuner is the more important part of the equation so your bike will run cooler, and like it should.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:13 PM
BrandonK
3rd Gear

Yes it's the stock muffler. Just looks like he cut it out with a torch or grinder or something. Thinking my best bet is to just buy a tuner for now then re tune it when I can afford my exhaust

Last edited by BrandonK; 02-11-2019 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:59 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

Get a pair of thunder torque inserts from DK Customs. They will improve your power and sound and will only set you back about $30. It'll buy you time to get your new exhaust. And if that's all you're doing for now you don't have to rush into a tuner, either.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:34 PM
BrandonK
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by nevil
Get a pair of thunder torque inserts from DK Customs. They will improve your power and sound and will only set you back about $30. It'll buy you time to get your new exhaust. And if that's all you're doing for now you don't have to rush into a tuner, either.
that sounds like a decent idea. Especially if I dont have to buy a tuner right now. Trying to save up so I can pay the sales tax on this thing and work has been slow the last 2 weeks! Thanks for the info!

Old 02-22-2019, 07:00 PM
Las Vegas Jim
Supporter
Received 228 Likes on 149 Posts

TOTALLY AGREE. You don't want to run the risk of damaging the motor (very expensive) or having sub-par performance; you will benefit from a high flow air cleaner as part of a complete Stage 1 upgrade. The upgrade can be done for around $800 if you do it yourself and shop for the components.