Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Exhaust fiber shield wraps...removable?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 09:33 AM
diegoII
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust fiber shield wraps...removable?

Hey guys, while I send my shield to get ceramic coated, I was going to wrap my exhaust with
these these
wraps, just wondering if I will be able to remove them and use the shield once they are finished. Does anybody know for a fact? I'm assuming the heat and moisture will solidify them into the pipes, so I will probably have to scrape them off? Thank you for your help!

Old 03-22-2019, 05:56 PM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have used header wraps in cars and on motorcycles before. I have never had an issue removing them. However, once they are exposed to heat they will loose the flexibility you have when you first install them. I would consider them a one-time use item. They will probably perform for years to come, but once you take them off they will be end-of-life.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:53 PM
diegoII
Intermediate

Originally Posted by enodrano
I have used header wraps in cars and on motorcycles before. I have never had an issue removing them. However, once they are exposed to heat they will loose the flexibility you have when you first install them. I would consider them a one-time use item. They will probably perform for years to come, but once you take them off they will be end-of-life.
heres my dilema. I will be painting my heat shield with vht rattle cans. It takes about 3-4 days to fully dry before they need to be baked at 300 degrees. I have a friend that owns a kiln that will do that for me, but I don’t want to not be able to ride during this time. My idea was to use the heat wraps while this is happenein, but wanted to reverse it back when the shields are ready. Wanna make sure I won’t have to scrape the wraps off the pipes!

Thabk you for your input!

Old 03-27-2019, 02:58 PM
harkon
Road Captain
Received 145 Likes on 106 Posts

I'm not sure I get the dilemma. The shields are going to cover the pipes anyway, right? The wraps won't "stick" to the pipes like they are melted on or anything, but once they get hot they will leave marks. If the marks bother you, a bit of 400 grit wet paper and it's cleaned up. Personally if you're going to cover it up anyway, it should be a non-issue. BTW, it really helps to put the wrap on wet. It helps with the pliability of the wreap and is easier to get tight. If possible, it might make sense to leave the wrap under the shields if everything fits. Should help with heat management on your right leg.

Old 03-27-2019, 03:33 PM
diegoII
Intermediate

Originally Posted by harkon
I'm not sure I get the dilemma. The shields are going to cover the pipes anyway, right? The wraps won't "stick" to the pipes like they are melted on or anything, but once they get hot they will leave marks. If the marks bother you, a bit of 400 grit wet paper and it's cleaned up. Personally if you're going to cover it up anyway, it should be a non-issue. BTW, it really helps to put the wrap on wet. It helps with the pliability of the wreap and is easier to get tight. If possible, it might make sense to leave the wrap under the shields if everything fits. Should help with heat management on your right leg.
right on!! Thank you, yeah that makes sense. I can always leave the wraps in. I wasn’t sure if the shields would fit with the wraps on, but it’s a good option. I don’t care about the pipes, but was under the impression that they kind of melted or molded to the pipes.

Thanks again!

Old 03-31-2019, 06:41 PM
harkon
Road Captain
Received 145 Likes on 106 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by diegoII
right on!! Thank you, yeah that makes sense. I can always leave the wraps in. I wasn’t sure if the shields would fit with the wraps on, but it’s a good option. I don’t care about the pipes, but was under the impression that they kind of melted or molded to the pipes.

Thanks again!
The shields may not fit over the wrap, but there's only one way to know for sure

When you do it it works best back to front. It looks better as the overlap is in the right direction that way. I did it backwards on my dirt bike and every time I brushed up against something there was a tendency to grab the wrap. Back to front is better. The wrap can have a way of quickly falling apart at the ends. On the free end (that's the end that will be loose until the very end of the process, benefits from some Super Glue or something to keep it from fraying. If it takes a while for the glue to set, just throw some baking soda on it. It will harden fairly quickly then. You will want to cut that off at the very end, but it will keep things in check until you get there. An extra set of hands can help too.

Good luck brother. Post a Pic when done for us.