Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Stage one with slip ons?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 04:15 PM
Trueon1
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage one with slip ons?

Hey, I have a forty eight sportster that I'd like to get shot of the stock air cleaner and tune with V&H FP3. It came with Vance and Hines twin slash 3" slip ons, and i don't know if I need to upgrade to a full system to get some improvement beyond looks and don't want to wreck the engine. Ive talked to a couple of different service guys at my local HD dealer. One of them said you can't stage one with mufflers and the other said you can? Searching on line I have also found the same conflict.

Can someone please clear this up for me. Can I tune with FP3 and upgrade the air cleaner, whilst keeping the slip ons? Will this do any damage in the long run? Thanks, True.

Old 05-30-2019, 04:25 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

Of course you can. I have the 3" slash slip ons with DK Custom air cleaner and powervision tuner. Runs great. I removed my baffles and installed DK Custom Torque inserts.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum.

Old 05-31-2019, 02:54 PM
vanceandhines
Former Sponsor
Received 178 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Trueon1
Hey, I have a forty eight sportster that I'd like to get shot of the stock air cleaner and tune with V&H FP3. It came with Vance and Hines twin slash 3" slip ons, and i don't know if I need to upgrade to a full system to get some improvement beyond looks and don't want to wreck the engine. Ive talked to a couple of different service guys at my local HD dealer. One of them said you can't stage one with mufflers and the other said you can? Searching on line I have also found the same conflict.

Can someone please clear this up for me. Can I tune with FP3 and upgrade the air cleaner, whilst keeping the slip ons? Will this do any damage in the long run? Thanks, True.
You can absolutely do this, and it won't do any damage in the long run whatsoever. We've got tons of customers riding everything from XL's to Touring models with just slip-on's, A/C, and an FP3

Bryan
Brand Manager Electronics

Old 05-31-2019, 11:52 PM
GammaRei
Cruiser
Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks for creating this thread. I am actually almost in the same boat. I have an Arlen Ness Stage 1, I just ordered a set of straight shots slip ons. But I do not have the FP3 or any other type of fuel management for my 1200 Sportster. So should I hold off on installation or will I be ok with this set up?

- G

Old 06-01-2019, 06:31 AM
GregGillette
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by GammaRei
Thanks for creating this thread. I am actually almost in the same boat. I have an Arlen Ness Stage 1, I just ordered a set of straight shots slip ons. But I do not have the FP3 or any other type of fuel management for my 1200 Sportster. So should I hold off on installation or will I be ok with this set up?

- G
You should get your fuel management before. My touring machine pinged bad after AN and slipons. Tried going cheap with xieds and never solved. I went with the fp3 and all good. If you plan to do cams you may want to go with something proven for dyno tuning; the fp3 pro is advertised for it but not proven accepted by the masses yet.

The following users liked this post:
GammaRei (06-01-2019)
Old 06-01-2019, 07:56 PM
GammaRei
Cruiser
Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by GregGillette
You should get your fuel management before. My touring machine pinged bad after AN and slipons. Tried going cheap with xieds and never solved. I went with the fp3 and all good. If you plan to do cams you may want to go with something proven for dyno tuning; the fp3 pro is advertised for it but not proven accepted by the masses yet.
Thanks so much for the input~!!!

- Gamma