Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

O2 sensor installed backwards Quick Fix?

Old 06-02-2019, 01:29 PM
Izral
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 sensor installed backwards Quick Fix?

Hi everybody,

I am Izral and had my 1st fltrxs a year ago.
Recently i upgraded my header and just realized that the O2 sensor was installed backwards (black is not back). Just wondering, for a quick fix can i just slot it the cable backwards temporarily by slotting the black to the grey slot and grey cable to the black slot to fix the backfire and all.

I dont have access to a proper tool to change the bung that i already installed on the header and it is a long holiday here where i live.

Old 06-02-2019, 04:22 PM
Izral
1st Gear

Anyone out there can help me on this issue?

Old 06-03-2019, 12:04 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

I don't know how you can install the O2 sensor backwards. Not really sure what you're saying. Especially as to what is slotting. But if you think the problem is that the wires are reversed then why can't you just switch them around?

Old 06-03-2019, 02:48 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 712 Likes on 624 Posts

super +1 mr. nevil
a picture would help
perhaps the wrong sensors and wire terminations?

Old 06-03-2019, 08:33 PM
harkon
Road Captain
Received 144 Likes on 105 Posts

The O2 sensors are identical, except for the connector color. If you installed the O2 sensor with the black connector in the front pipe, then just plug that one into the grey connector under the side cover. No need to over think this. At some point, though, you will want to make it right as if you ever have it serviced, and the tech notices it, you'll have a crappy running bike.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:28 PM
Izral
1st Gear

Originally Posted by harkon
The O2 sensors are identical, except for the connector color. If you installed the O2 sensor with the black connector in the front pipe, then just plug that one into the grey connector under the side cover. No need to over think this. At some point, though, you will want to make it right as if you ever have it serviced, and the tech notices it, you'll have a crappy running bike.
Yeah, i have tried to to plug in the black plug onto the grey connector under the side but to no avail, it looks identical but it just wont slot in, both connectors would not accept to connect the other colour plugs. I guess i have got no choice but to have the whole exhaust dissambled and reinstall the O2 sensor to right location.

Anyway thank you very much.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:05 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

I'm confused about this. First, how is changing the bung going to help? It's simply the place to install the sensor. And why would you have to remove and reassemble the exhaust system?
Something's missing here. Tell us what kind of exhaust you have, and post a pic or two.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:43 PM
RDFDJD
Cruiser
Received 111 Likes on 35 Posts

Can you reach a nut wrench in there if you take off the exhaust shields? I recently replaced my O2 sensors and that's what I did. I used this wrench. Even without the nut wrench I would think you could still use a box wrench?

Old 06-19-2019, 03:33 AM
AKL1
Advanced
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

front/rear

Last edited by AKL1; 06-19-2019 at 03:35 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:34 AM
AKL1
Advanced
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by nevil
I'm confused about this. First, how is changing the bung going to help? It's simply the place to install the sensor. And why would you have to remove and reassemble the exhaust system?
Something's missing here. Tell us what kind of exhaust you have, and post a pic or two.
He has swapped the front/rear placement clearly....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: O2 sensor installed backwards Quick Fix?