Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Cam for 95 Big Bore

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 05:54 PM
john05
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam for 95 Big Bore

I'm looking for some help selecting a cam to use with a 95 big bore kit on my 05 EFI Softail. The SE BB kit comes with the SE 203 which is real close to the Andrews 37. A local performance shop suggested I try the SE 255 for a little more lift. Also need to choose between HD cast flat top or the cast high compression pistons. I'm like most riders looking for more torque. I planto get theheads ported, already using the PC III and V&H 2 into 1 Pro Pipe. I'm doing the wrenching myself. Any help would be appreciated..

Old 09-13-2007, 07:47 PM
mentor70
Road Warrior
Default RE: Cam for 95 Big Bore

This topic is a two sidded story, the first thing is, price vs, results. and the second is engine build opionions.

you can go the economy route, a big boys head job, cast pistons. and the HD cams with chains, and you may be very happy with the results. You will get 100 opionions BTW!

the other side of the coin is getting you hands on a engine package that will give you what you want and then some and be overly reliable and cost about double of what I listed above, and mostly non-HD parts.

To me, the HD cams miss the boat for big torque and a broad power band. For thissolution Id use the Head-Quarters Firestorm cams or the S&S .570s or the new R&R 525 cams, with gear drives.

I would prefer to use the SE forged pistons with the 4cc domes or any aftermarket 10.5 to 1 piston.
this will give you some added insurance against detonation.
and have you heads CCed to match each other and get you mechanical compresion equalized. Then id get compresion releases instaled.

The big deal hear is making timming adjustments to protect your engine and give you maximum results in power, this will require you to get a SERT or a Thundermax, something that offers timming adjustments!

then youll have to stash some coin to get it tuned when your done.

[IMG]local://upfiles/22371/40E9213069CD43F7AE73C36A95C12758.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-14-2007, 06:50 AM
john05
3rd Gear

Thanks Mentor;like you said, there a lot of opinions out there. I'm not looking to race my bike to the soup kitchen $$$$, just want a little more torque. It's funny looking at some of these posts from guys who live HD but when it comes to upgrades they go elsewhere?? I would think the SE Big Bore package should work for me and if you comparecams,HD cams havenumbers close to Andrews and S&S. I hope to hear from someone using the SE combo...

Old 09-14-2007, 07:02 AM
ultraultra
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mentor hit the mark. When I did a 95" on my '05 Ultra, I did NOT get the SE "kit". I DID buy the jugs and FORGED pistons (HD). I have NEVER put a cast piston in ANY motor (cage) that I have built. I did use a HD cam.. but wish I would have gone a different route. I have the 251 or 253 (don't have a SE catalog here at work to verify the #). I have the SE ported head, V&H true duals, Kerker slip-on. I'm getting 99.6 torque, and 96 HP.

It's always cheaper to build it right the first time, then to have to go back in later and do it over. Then you are out the money for the initial parts and you are looking at another dyno. If I had to do over again, I would have gone to Head Quarters for the package. Good luck.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:03 AM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 95 big bore kit. I ran a SE 203 cam and I got simple torque. I rode a buddy bike and he had the same set-up but with a S&S 585 what a difference. Take from me the HD cams are very missing leading when it comes to comparing numbers. Andrews is the make for major of the cams and every one is different. If I was you I will try to find someone with some different cams in thier bike and ride it before you choose.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:59 AM
mentor70
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: john05

Thanks Mentor;like you said, there a lot of opinions out there. I'm not looking to race my bike to the soup kitchen $$$$, just want a little more torque. It's funny looking at some of these posts from guys who live HD but when it comes to upgrades they go elsewhere?? I would think the SE Big Bore package should work for me and if you comparecams,HD cams havenumbers close to Andrews and S&S. I hope to hear from someone using the SE combo...
My work mate has a fatboy with the SE kit, he is using the SE 204 cam and forged pistons with stock unported heads. Ithas fine torque, but my bike walksaway effortlessly when we ride.
He want to get his headsdone by Head Quarters now, andget a cam to match.

you could do this:
SEforgedpistons or SE cast pop-ups.
HQ ported stg 3 heads, andHQ .575 cams
SERT orThundermax for tunning.
D&DFatcat exhaust.

This would give you the best bang for the buck and give you some awsome torque!
the power range would start just above 2K rpm and go to over 5500 rpm!

[IMG]local://upfiles/22371/DBF4D6B44A524F9D8AD5E8BEE4CF64BA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-14-2007, 09:23 AM
john05
3rd Gear

Thanks Guys, this is like picking paint for the living room, too many choices..

Old 09-14-2007, 10:55 AM
Kingofcubes
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You are getting some very good advise here, I have another can of paint for you. If you already have the SE heads I would suggest our new RR525 cam with patented cam plate/ cam cover and gear drive cams. Those heads over exhaust a little but will give you great torque with this cam. Later we can clean up the core shift and match the intakes to the exhast ports for you and give you a cool running, smooth, and quick reving bike. The cam plate/ cam cover does several good things for the engine, run cooler, free up power, and stablize the oil pump and pinion shaft and make the gear drive cams whisper quiet.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:33 PM
fj4069
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

woods performace. awesome cams.go to the website and check out all the dyno charts. i went with the se forged 10 and a halfs, se heads and the woods tw6hg cam. gonna get dyno'd of friday so i'll post up the numbers then.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:24 PM
mentor70
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: fj4069

woods performace. awesome cams.go to the website and check out all the dyno charts. i went with the se forged 10 and a halfs, se heads and the woods tw6hg cam. gonna get dyno'd of friday so i'll post up the numbers then.
Let us know how it turns out! Ive heard good things about that cam.

Quick Reply: Cam for 95 Big Bore