Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

V&H Decel "Flutter"

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 12:18 PM
Deluxe07
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V&H Decel "Flutter"

Just got the V&H true duals on. Also SERT and SE AC. Sounds great; runs great.

However, on decel I hear what I can only describe as a "flutter" noise. No popping, no backfire.....just a little fluttering.......normal for these pipes with this set-up??? Idownshift when coming to a stop.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:58 PM
05flstndeluxe
Novice
Default RE: V&H Decel "Flutter"

I recently puchased a set of V&H Big Shot Staggered andi have the same sound (flutter). I rode with these for about a week and had to take them off, i did not like the sound on decel.I ordered a set of Hooker Rebel Longshoping this will be the sound I'm looking for but, it's the same. Does anyone have any idea of what type of pipe will give me the "drag-back" sound whenI decelerate? I've tried with or without baffles andnothing helps. Willanything elseaffect this or is it just the pipes that ineed to change??? I guess i'll be posting both of my new pipes soon...

Old 10-04-2007, 11:52 AM
05flstndeluxe
Novice

Just wondering if any other options were availabe to get the sound I'm looking for. I still have the Hooker Rebel Longs and just added the Stage 1 K&N kit, love the looks, but not crazy about the sound on decel. The sound I'm looking for is hard to describe but it kind of sounds like a jake brake on a semi. My friend has a 97 Heritage with the old V&H Long Shots and I want that sound. Is it possible with the TC 88??? Do yoiu think I'll need the original V&H, because the BSS didn't work at all? Any ideas are welcome!!!

Old 10-04-2007, 02:28 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,695 Likes on 1,341 Posts

Drag pipes will do it. My wife has drag pipes and after putting them on, the first time she decelerated and heard that noise she knew that was exactly the sound she was after.

Really, you probably need a 2 into 2 (no crossover) and very little baffle/muffler.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:51 PM
restlesshawg
Advanced

A set of Big City Thunder Monster baffles will do the trick and you won't lose the throaty sound. I have the V&H big shots staggered on my 04 carbed fatboy with these baffles and do not have decel "flutter." I also have torque cones installed. I have heard from others that some of the "flutter" has to do with the EFI if your bike has it. Since you have true duals you will need the thunder monsters that install in the header pipe before the muffler. Hope this helps.

From Big City Thunders website. http://bigcitythunder.com/pages/product-fit.html
Thunder Monster Baffles for Alternate Installations, ie. - ie. If you have gutted your mufflers, removed or modified the baffles, run open drag pipes, straight fishtails, any other type straight pipe, muffler, or baffle, Big City Thunder has a Thunder Monster baffle that installs in the exit end of the head pipe where it joins the muffler. As with all our other products it will provide the proper amount of back pressure, flow the exhaust gases properly and deal with reversion. It will also provide a deeper, throatier, hot rod/hot bike sound.