Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Adding more baffles to drag pipes? (long)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 11:30 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Adding more baffles to drag pipes? (long)

I have Samson II, Rip Saws on my SE Fat Boy. They come without baffles and Samson doesn't make a universal type baffle that will fit. The bike runs great with no baffles, just power cones at the head end. The problem, is running these drag pipes on the 103" engine it is extremely loud.
I experimented trying different things to quiet them. I settled on "Khrome Werks HP-Plus Drag Pipe Baffles". They quieted the exhausta bitand didn't seem to effect the performance.
On a scale of 1 to 10 volume wise, considering the stock mufflers as a 5 and my unrestricted pipes as a 10, with the Khrome Werks baffles, it is now a 9. It surprised me that they didn't become a bit more quieter.
I like the looks and performance of the Rip Saws, so I would like to keep them, but they are still too loud for me.
Now I am thinking of ordering another pair of the same baffles and adding them in front of the existing baffles. I only have a 14" straight section on my rear/top pipe, so I would have to cut the baffles down to about 4 1/2" in length, so they don't intrude far enough to block the exhaust flow in the bend area.
These baffles have minimal restriction. They are made out of steel and use no fiberglass packing and are about 9" long.
They aredesigned so you can use pliers and tweak the diameter of them, so they will fit tight in the pipes. I put the initialbaffles in about 3,000 miles ago and they have stayed in place. Even if they were to come loose, they would not be able to get past my down tips.I can not use a bolt to hold them in place becausethe removable down tips, that fit on the end of the pipes,clampover the area where the baffles need to be bolted to the pipe.
Do you think this is worth the effort? Does anyone have any better ideas?
Tom