Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Crankshaft Runout

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 08:03 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crankshaft Runout

So, I'm getting close to replacing my cam chains with gear drives -- bike has 33k, so it's time to do something. Changeing the cams looks pretty straightforward, but I have a question about checking the crankshaft runout. If I check it and it's out of tolerance, what do I need to do? All I've seen is everyone saying to check it. Nothing about what to do if it's out of tolerance. New bottom end bearings???

Also, other than noise, if gear lash is out of tolerance, anything else at risk?

Old 11-05-2007, 09:51 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Crankshaft Runout

Jim....

The most common issue with excessive runout is gear noise. It is "possible" to break teeth on gears, but that happens when cranks "sissor", or the halves shift. "Generally speaking", the majority of the cranks with issues are newer models than your 2000. Seems likethe issuegot a little worse around 2005, but in 2007, it seems to be much more common.

Odds are, you'll be just fine. If you end up with a slight tight spot, you can buy an undersized crank gear to free it up a bit.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:18 AM
JLOCKHART29
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

If run out is excess only option is to pull crank and true it. Have weilded while at it. There is a lot of people who just slap these things in with no problem and never check run out or have excessive run out if they do check. Then you hear all kinds of whining about gear noise. Check it and use over or undersized gears if needed. I had .0075 and went with under size pinion gear and quite as chains. Would have probably been ok with standard size gear but would have whine. 9 out of 10 will be fine and straight foward.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:03 AM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, fellas, what you've said makes sense. I'll check runout and lash to see what I get for peace of mind. Hopefully runout will be fine like you say. If I need a different size gear sounds like a pretty simple fix to change out, so if that's all I need to do, no problem.

I think I'm good to go -- just need to explain to the wife know "why" I need to do this!

Old 11-06-2007, 11:23 AM
Kingofcubes
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First I look at the oil pump body for signs of scoring and find that this is common to discover, then I check the pinion runout and if I'm using the stock cam plate don't let it go beyond .003". If I'm using a billet R&R plate 006" is ok. I true and weld the cranks that are over these tolerances.