Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Question from a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 09:30 PM
IcemanVA
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question from a newbie

Just bought the 08 Anniversary edition Heritage Softail and looking at changing out the pipes after the break-in period to increase the music.

The sound I'm looking for is alow "throaty", deep sound at idle and some decent volume while crusin'. I don't have to be the loudest scoot on the road, but respectable would be nice. More interested in a good idle sound.

This is my first HD and I've not had any experience changing out pipes etc.
I know this is a widely debated topic, but for a newbie, can anyone make a recommendationon what a good choicewould be for the upgrade?

I think I need to upgrade the air intake and add apower commander with the pipes?? I plan on having the dealer do the install and dyno it too.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:11 PM
VooDooChile
Advanced
Default RE: Question from a newbie

Check out the Rhinhart True duals , or if ya want a 2 into 1 style look into the Fat Cat or.....
Looking for pipes is going to be like walkin into the cereal isle at your local grocery store, overwelming to say the least. Go on some local bike runs and wait till you hear the sound that does it for you. Then order yer pipes from which ever MFG you like, order yer SE Race Tuner and SE Air Cleaner from Chicago Harley and have it dyno'd at a trusted local facility. IMHO

Old 11-29-2007, 06:29 AM
schmeg
Cruiser

First you need to decide whats more important, total performance (low end), or looks, or a bit of both. Duels have a certain appeal to them that no other pipe souns like when tuned well. 2-1 will give more low end power for your dollar, but sound and look different. Little smoother sound and feel. Most are loud with the exception of Supertrapp and D&D Fatcat with quiet baffle. The RB Performance Blackhole 2-1 I hear is fairly reasonable but spendy. I myself am caught in the middle because I'm always looking for more performance, but the sound of duels keeps me away from 2-1. My setup is Rush slip on's with 1 3/4 baffles on the stock headpipes, bu will be putting on duel headpipes after I'm done with the motor this winter. Sound is very pleasing, and the performance is fine.

Your system is a closed loop system, so your headpipes are specific to 07/08 model years. Each lung has an o2 sensor bung. Lots of nice pipes out there, just try to pick the pipes that will compliment what you want out of the bike in the future.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:58 PM
IcemanVA
Cruiser

Thanks for the advice all. I have been kicking around duals as a possiblility, I dig the look and from what I've heard, the sound too. Think I'm going to search for a decent pair of these.