Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Ultima El Bruto 113

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 06:53 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

What we have seen here, you can get them rockin'.

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:04 PM
fuddly
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Well I've got about 5000 miles since last reply. Numbers on dyno were very good, 130 ft. lbs torque and 113 hp. Went to 177.5 mainjet & retarded timing 2.5 degrees. About 3800/rpm! No problems,very happy with whole setup. Hope this helps! All pro's.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:48 PM
NTrat
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ultima's = roll of the dice. Quality control with these items is iffy at best. Good power is possible from an EVO clone no doubt, the long term reliability is SPOTTY at best. Ive seen and heard Ultima engines lasting over 50k with no issues, and Ive witnessed Ultimas having major issues with less than 5k on the odometer.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:22 AM
skyhook
Tourer

ntrat, do you think the riders abused the ones that had issues?...of course we buy performance to use it, but some folks don't understand the special care and feeding required to maintain a big inch hotrod motor

Old 12-20-2008, 09:44 AM
NTrat
Banned

Originally Posted by skyhook
ntrat, do you think the riders abused the ones that had issues?...of course we buy performance to use it, but some folks don't understand the special care and feeding required to maintain a big inch hotrod motor

I dont doubt there are many reasons for premature failure issues, abuse sure could be a reason, but I have witnesed an El Bruto **** the bed with less than 5k. Crank failure. The bike was properly broken in and it was taken care of. Like anything mechanical though, none of it is perfect............

Old 12-20-2008, 11:02 AM
HDWRENCH
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It would seem with all of the after market engines that they are set up to be a bolt in engine with out issues. Meaning that they are not going to try and have them run on the ragged edge. I have seen Ultimas, S&S, Rev tech, TP's all run well/ and have seen issues with all as well. I think that rider error is one of the biggest issues. I have seen first hand guys with custom choppers complain about a big inch crate engine. But they think it is ok to let that idle / stop and go traffic with temps over 100. Even stockers are not happy with that kind of riding, they are however much more forgiving than a high compression big inch stroker motor. Super short pipes, no tune on the engines all stack up to a problem. Some times the look over rides function and in the end the bike is really never correctly tuned and in the end, engine failure is the end result. Too bad really.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:31 AM
Kingofcubes
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Engines

Steve forgot to mention another manufacturer that get the best results I've seen. www.rrcycles.com

Old 12-20-2008, 11:41 AM
HDWRENCH
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

HA HA Randy I was speaking of the normal Crate engines, I did forget that R&R does crate engines. Maybe some day I will own a 155 for a bagger of my own . Nothing normal about a R&R engine. Nothing but the best parts, set up , machining etc.

Last edited by HDWRENCH; 12-20-2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:11 PM
Rock Man
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up tips on the 113 El Bruto

Many will argue with me on this, but the El Bruto engines are basically racing engines. You dont take it out on its first run & do Smoke-Outs & expect the engine to make it to 2500 miles.
For the first 2000 miles you need to baby the engine because the tolerances are SO tight. Change the oil every 100mi for the first 500 miles & every 250 miles after that to 2500 miles.
Keep the RPM's down but do not lug the engine ... use those 6 speeds & keep the motor running in the mid ranges. Dont run it at constant RPM's for extended peroids. Keep the speed down to 45-55mph for the first 500 miles & under 65 till you reach 1500mi, then you can run it at interstate speeds & how you intend to drive it everyday for short runs (up to 2000mi).
Don't let it sit & idle for long peroids ... they will over heat quick, especally the 131cid. the 113cid isnt as bad. but riding a 131cid in a slow parade can overheat that engine. If your going to be sitting still for more than 2x a red light change ... kill that enging. You can melt the paint on the oil tank & the lower part of the gas tank. Again, these are very high perforance engines & they creat a lot of heat.
Again, these are basically Racing engines! Did you ever have a buddy, neighbor or whatever who rebuilt his SS 396 & built it HOT & on his first drive around the block, he came back (hopefully) with it hammering & smoking? Will I have. He never even got the hood remounted before he was pulling the 396 out again to fix the knocking robs/wristpins & broken rings.
After the 2500mi, then you give the engine hell !!!!!!
The above mentioned oil changes are very important & just use a very good quality name-brand oil like Castrol. You dont need those $6.00/qt Super oils ... just the same stuff you run in your car/truck.
Hope this helps. All this I learned the hard way ... DON'T be a "me"!
Rock Man

PS
Always keep the greasy side down ... stay safe & ride cool.

The following users liked this post:
Zuul (09-12-2016)
Old 10-24-2009, 11:02 AM
Old Ironhorse
Stage I
Default 113 El Bruto

I have a 113 El Bruto on a custom road bike I built. So far, 2000 miles, no problems and it has killer power. Does run hot in stop light traffic but so did the Twin Cam Ultra I had for awhile. My experience is any V-twin near 100 or more CI runs hot. I am hoping this will be a reliable motor as I will ride from 300-600 miles on weekend trips.
I just joined HD Forums today after reading some posts. Lotta great advice and insight on here. I have read opinions on most V-twins, clones and HD alike. I dont knock any because we all ride what we have and must like it or we wouldnt have them. I have seen S&S heads crack starting at the spark plug hole all the way around until the head was ready to separate, It was a casting problem they had for a short time but they stood behind their warranty, no problem.
I have seen TC88 motors been destroyed after the big inch kit was installed. HD and the HD shop that did it werent so quick with their warranty support. My boss had to contact a lawyer, they ended up spitting the $5000 cost to rebuild 3 ways. He probly didnt adhere to breakin period? Rock Man is right on the money about taking it ez on new motors. Get a few thousand miles on them before cranking on'em. Hard to refrain but smart for long term motor life on any new motor.
I am in North Carolina, great riding once you get out of Raleigh/Wake County traffic. Blue Ridge Prkwy, Boone, Asheville, all great weekend riding.
I will be adding a pic of my scooter when I get one. Ride safe.

Quick Reply: Ultima El Bruto 113