Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Ultima El Bruto 113

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 01:07 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If during the course of normal operation you are blistering paint on the oil tank or elsewhere, it is running too damn hot and the tune is suspectl And, the statement that big engines run hot is really not true. I am running a 120" build and it routinely runs in the 185 - 210 range depending on abient temps and even at full tilt cruise (80mph two up loaded with wife and touring gear) in 90+ temps, it runs about 215 - 225 degrees.

I get so tired of hearing big engines run hot, big engines don't get good fuel mileage, big engines are not reliable, all a load of crap in my opinion. I have 35k miles on the build, have run it all over the country in all temps and at all elevations and it is bulletproof, gets 42 -44mpg, have seen 50+ mpg at higher elevations and runnning 87 octane.

If it is as hot as you say, the tune or build is bad, or it is a full on race engine you should not be trying to ride on the street.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:11 AM
Kingofcubes
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is exactly my experience also. If the heads have no quench area, the squish is not tight, and the exhaust to intake flow ratio is wacky with poor port scavanging the engine will super heat.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:21 PM
mgibbs
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on 113 Wide Glide

Now have 16K plus on 113" El Bruto, nothing but fun. As I mentioned in first post had rocker arm break in first 1k. Company replaced both rockers, pushrods, lifters and boxes, haven't looked back since. Did 2.5k from NM to Sturgis, no problem and blew out dyno drags at the Full Throttle Saloon. Love the power and price.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:45 PM
Classic Beast
Tourer

my fully polished 127 ultima runs cooler than my buddy's 95" twinkie

Old 12-19-2009, 08:32 AM
car5car
Banned

How much will value of your bike increase after installation of engine? Will it be cheaper for you to sell your bike and buy 95"-96"?

Old 12-19-2009, 09:30 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

If your stock motor blows and the bike id dead in the water, Any motor should bring it up to book value. It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. It may be more desirable to someone who was planning on doing motor work anyway. But some people may be leary of a aftermarket motor.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:19 PM
Classic Beast
Tourer

If you put in a complete motor like the ultima, you could keep the original then put it back in before you sell it. When you modify the original motor it's real hard to get some money back on it.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:11 PM
car5car
Banned

Originally Posted by big cahuna
If your stock motor blows and the bike id dead in the water, Any motor should bring it up to book value. It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. It may be more desirable to someone who was planning on doing motor work anyway. But some people may be leary of a aftermarket motor.
I used to buy flood cars. All engines had the same damage- broken connecting rod. (if bike was running an "drinking" water)I also replaced rings and did valve job. I know that crank is very expensive but it is cheaper than complete engine and if you repair engine you get "rebuilt engine which will increase value.
By the way used cranks are cheap on Ebay. Good luck!

Old 01-14-2010, 03:44 PM
Rock Man
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I"m building this bike from scratch. I"ve had HD"s & raked & chopped them but I wanted to build one tha I turned every bolt on it. I choose every part individually down to the type seat bolts to use. Everything on this bike will be NEW & of my choosing.
Rock man

Old 01-14-2010, 03:47 PM
Rock Man
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mgibbs
Now have 16K plus on 113" El Bruto, nothing but fun. As I mentioned in first post had rocker arm break in first 1k. Company replaced both rockers, pushrods, lifters and boxes, haven't looked back since. Did 2.5k from NM to Sturgis, no problem and blew out dyno drags at the Full Throttle Saloon. Love the power and price.

Glad to hear your happy. The engine is only as good as the rider & as satifying as what the rider expects.
Rock Man

Quick Reply: Ultima El Bruto 113