Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Ultima El Bruto 113

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 08:59 AM
stick93
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I know this is an old thread but..

Originally Posted by Classic Beast
Installed height: 1.850 @ 160lb.
1.150 @ 400lb.
Coil bind: 1.050
Max recommended lift: .700
Spring O.D. 1.460
Would anyone have this info for the 96" ultima? I got a good buy on one a cpl yrs old and would like to change out the mw520 cam. I can do the measurement but this would save me opening up an otherwise ready to run motor. Thanx a bunch. Stick

Old 08-25-2014, 09:31 AM
Classic Beast
Tourer

Just go on the Ultima site you can download the manual or on the midwest site it also has info

Old 08-13-2015, 10:20 PM
Kenkenokio
Stage III

I have about 5k on my El Bruto 127in evo type motor. It's really powerful but makes a lot of cam noise (had it checked out and they said it was normal for these big ones) and it leaks a little around the cylinders. It an OK motor.

Old 10-24-2015, 03:21 PM
NeilMcA
Intermediate

I am thinking of replacing my 95 fxstsb' 80" evo with a 107" Ultima. I am in the UK and it works out half the price of an S&S v111. Anyone got any info on it? I know a guy here who I ride with and he says his is strong as a horse and never had any problems. WHat sort of mileage can you get out of it?
Anyone have any personal experience with it? And not just 'ohh I only buy S&S stories'

Old 11-02-2016, 07:08 PM
BluBeaSSt
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I'm looking at the 113 in my FXR. I read that pre 09 they were iffy, anyone care to weigh in on it?

Old 11-03-2016, 04:44 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

El Bruto engines were iffy for quite a while. I haven't seen much about them in here in recent years. Perhaps the fact that it's quiet means they are indeed better! In 2008 I bought an S&S instead and am very pleased with that. They make a 111", which is close, plus of course a 124" for a little extra!

Old 11-28-2017, 02:30 PM
bobsemp
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post And the beat (down) goes on ... 2 more Ultima tales

OK, 2 ULTIMA 113" bought new in 2014 and 2015 had the same issue ... I had a lifter wheel grenade itself and destroyed cam, oil pump, rockers, etc. 6000 miles/18 months on it. A friend had the other 113", similar situation, similar mileage/timeframe, just about (but not quite) destroying the engine. His had the cam jam into the block, instantly locking up the cam, snapping the woodruff key for the pinion gear, and actually friction-welding the pinion gear to the crank (as well as destroying the oil pump, etc etc)!!!

I can't speak for my friend, but I know I followed ULTIMA'S break-in instructions to a tee, and afterwards, didn't beat the engine (well, not too much). Really disappointing to spend beaucu bucks and have this kind of performance issues!!!

Found it interesting that both engines had the rocker arm pushrod pockets totally worn out, to the point that there wasn't an oiling hole in the pocket, but an oiling groove, where the oil passage was. Gotta think they are still having QC issues with thr rocker arm hardness. Anybody else see this problem?

However, the good news - the boys at Midwest were awesome in getting new parts to me to get the motors back together. Stuff came in 2 days. They didn't charge a cent. All they asked for was a few pictutres of the broken parts. They have really stepped up their game in Customer Service since the early days!

Anyway, looks like a partial teardown is in the works every 5000 miles from now on - I suppose a small but inconvenient price to pay for 125hp at the rear wheel.

So, the beat goes on...

Peace

Bob

Old 11-28-2017, 03:48 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by NeilMcA
I am thinking of replacing my 95 fxstsb' 80" evo with a 107" Ultima. I am in the UK and it works out half the price of an S&S v111. Anyone got any info on it? I know a guy here who I ride with and he says his is strong as a horse and never had any problems. WHat sort of mileage can you get out of it?
Anyone have any personal experience with it? And not just 'ohh I only buy S&S stories'
Hello old chap from somewhere close by. We are a long way away from the USA and when I bought my S&S back in 2008 the Ultimas were available over here, but with negligible after sales support. S&S had (may still do) a warranty dealer in Matts Machine Shop. IMHO an Ultima was a gamble back then, since when they have changed hands are still a gamble. By all means buy one, but do so with your eyes wide open! I got a three year warranty with my S&S, which I'm pleased to say I didn't need. You get what you pay for.

Old 01-26-2019, 03:09 PM
Ridetothehill
Road Captain

Received 142 Likes on 99 Posts

Can these be set up with a FI throttle body?

Old 08-03-2020, 02:39 PM
BigE1340
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 2016 model year Ultima explode the lifter rollers into the cam chest with less than 5k miles on it . Ultima rebuilt it but I suspect they did not clean the bottom end out properly and it lunched the bottom end crank bearings . Heard they ran some crappy Chinese lifters but only a rumor ..

Quick Reply: Ultima El Bruto 113