Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

damn inner cam bearings

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 02:07 PM
fj4069
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default damn inner cam bearings

alright. it's official. inner cam bearings hate me. maybe some one can enlighten me as to what i'm doing that is making these things come apart. a little history now- at 7000 miles put in the 95 kit w/woods tw6hg cams and a delcron cam plate w/feuling pump. ran that setup for a thousand miles and came into a good deal on a 110 kit. when i broke my cases apart i figured i might as well replace all the bearings. pressed out the inner cam bearings and they were both cracked at the bottoms and about to come apart. so i pressed in a new set of timken b-168's writing facing outwards.this is an 06 dyna btw. buttoned it all back up and got about 500 miles out of the 110 when i lost oil pressure and simotaneously began blowing oil out of the breathers. wtf? pulled it all apart and found one of the new inner cam bearings to be missing every needle bearing and therace to be broken. the other was right behind it also, missing a section of therace but all the bearings were still intact. both races were cracked at the bottoms like the factory ones were. ended up sucking needle bearings into the oil pump and ruined it wich ended up wet sumping my engine and blowing the oil. cam looks fine where it rode on the bearings. what the hell am i doing to these things? all they get is splash lubrication right? there are tons of bigger cams w/quicker opening ramps than the tw6hg and they arn't destroying cam bearings. am i just an a-hole or what?

update- figured it out, and i am definatly an a-hole also.
kind of a long story about how it happened but some of you might be able to use this info so, here it is. all the parts i got for my engine, delkron cam plate, woods cams, feuling pump all came from a buddies 06 roadking when he stepped it up on his bike. keep in mind all this crap is different from the 06 dyna stuff and can't be interchanged piece by piece but as a complete unit will bolt in w/no problems meaning that you can't interchange any of it. you either use all the roadking stuff or all the dyna stuff. the svc techs at my local hd dealer confirmed this when i first got all the roadking parts and said that as a unit all the stuff would bolt in and work w/no problems. was thinking that maybe i overlooked something and put all the roadking crap and all my stock dyna crap next to eachother and then took both all apart and examined it all. found that the end of the camshave a.125difference in size. so my cams were not supported properley in the bearing and wore out the very bottom of the bearing under the spring pressure load until they blew the ***** up. so i just need to install the b-148 timken instead of the b-168 timken and all will be peas and carrots again.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:45 PM
hogdoc
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: damn inner cam bearings

First off how are you installing them?
Second use the Torrington brgs not Timken.
Third are you cleaning the packing grease out before you install them?
Fourth after installing them do you make sure that the rollers turn freely?
Fifth do you lube the inner brgs before you install the cams and do you lube the cam journals and lobes?

The only inner Ive ever seen fail was on an SE Electra Glide that harley installed the brg backwards!

Old 03-09-2008, 04:15 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: hogdoc
Timken owns Torrington..............so they are the same exact bearing. And actually, Timken doesn't even have a B168 in their catalog......but when you buy the Torringtons it will say Timken on the box since they are the parent company.

Steve

Old 03-09-2008, 04:26 PM
fj4069
Road Warrior

Fifth do you lube the inner brgs before you install the cams and do you lube the cam journals and lobes?

The only inner Ive ever seen fail was on an SE Electra Glide that harley installed the brg backwards!
hogdoc, used a press to install the bearings, i say torrington but they were actually in the timken box, cleaned out the packing grease and used some redline engine asssy lube on them and i did stick my finger in and rotate them around to get more assy lube in them. i am a lube ****. everything gets coated cause i fear the dry start. thanks for the reply.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:38 PM
hogdoc
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: fj4069

hogdoc, used a press to install the bearings, i say torrington but they were actually in the timken box, cleaned out the packing grease and used some redline engine asssy lube on them and i did stick my finger in and rotate them around to get more assy lube in them. i am a lube ****. everything gets coated cause i fear the dry start. thanks for the reply.
Dont know then, it seems like your doing everything correct!

Old 03-10-2008, 09:39 PM
fj4069
Road Warrior

update above.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:55 AM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Definately not an ahole, at least not in my book, it takes a lot of ***** to come back here and tell us that you fked up and what the cause was, mistakes are made, by everyone on occasion. I am wondering what this did to the out bearings, I would also be chucking those lifters, you can bet it was putting a bunch of side load on the lifter rollers. Also inspect the lifter bores for roundness.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:48 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Since it sounds like you are doing things right, you may need to dig deeper. Check alignment between the case and plate bores as being inline and not jamming the rollers. Machine a shaft to minimum clearance and slide it infromthe plate to the case and see if it will freely go in and rotate.Check cam lobes for angles that could cause too much thrust loads. Every possiblity needs to be looked at or you will probably have problems again in a short time.
Ron

Old 03-12-2008, 06:56 AM
gunnert
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FJ4069, looks like you have about the same luck as I do. Whodathunkit...

Old 03-12-2008, 02:41 PM
fj4069
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: gunnert

FJ4069, looks like you have about the same luck as I do. Whodathunkit...
i don't like to think of it as "luck". after the past few years i've had i like to think of it as a skill now.

Quick Reply: damn inner cam bearings