Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Gas and octane booster in the HD

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 05:18 PM
madcritter
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gas and octane booster in the HD

My old 92 FLTC manual calls for a min of 87 % octane but she always ran better and is happier on the highest octane available I pump into her. With the price of gas I'm thinking of going to the 87%. I'm running a carb bike so will not have the problems some might have with the fuel injectors. Has anyone tried any octane booster in their bikes if so whats the results ?
thanks

Old 04-24-2008, 05:40 PM
madcritter
Road Warrior
Default RE: Gas and octane booster in the HD

well heck I just answered my own question. I have been using HD's fuel additive because it is soppose to help the bike's upper.

Just read the info on it:

"Formulated with Duralt Fuel Compound which permits the use of lower octane fuels. Reduces octane requirement increase that normally occurs with mileage. Controls the formation of combustion deposits. Lubricates upper cylinder and inhabits corrosion. Cleans fuel system. Improves fuel storage stability. Convenient metered dispensing bottle treats 40 gallons of fuel."

Old 04-24-2008, 06:59 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

We sell Super 104 as well as Klotz.
Folks seem to like it.

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:17 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts

This is the supplier to H-D www.superfuelsaver.com
ORIGINAL: madcritter

well heck I just answered my own question. I have been using HD's fuel additive because it is soppose to help the bike's upper.

"Formulated with Duralt Fuel Compound which permits the use of lower octane fuels. Reduces octane requirement increase that normally occurs with mileage. Controls the formation of combustion deposits. Lubricates upper cylinder and inhabits corrosion. Cleans fuel system. Improves fuel storage stability. Convenient metered dispensing bottle treats 40 gallons of fuel."

Old 04-25-2008, 05:47 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is'nt that big of differce between 87 and 91 or 92 octane in price. and you add the cost of booster. why dont you just buy the good stuff and be done.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:02 AM
madcritter
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: bklynbob

Just read the web site, it does not say it dose not contain lead. Don't want to use any additive that contains lead.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:10 AM
madcritter
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: sporty2003

there is'nt that big of differce between 87 and 91 or 92 octane in price. and you add the cost of booster. why dont you just buy the good stuff and be done.
I've been using the additive all along because it "Lubricates upper cylinder and inhabits corrosion." I'm at 39,000 miles with to problems and had no motor work done, no noise and uses no oil at all. Thats why I use the it and if it boosts octane that will help me use a cheaper gas thats even better, because gas prices will go up even more in the next 30 days. higher octane gas was 20 cent higher than regularyesterday where I stopped. I can use the HD additive at 14 cent per gal. Now if there is one out there that does the same thing as the HD stuff but cheaper then I'll buy it. Before nowthe additive was never used with the idea of octane boost just upper lube, but times they are a changing.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:34 AM
madcritter
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: bklynbob

I just emailed them to see if it contains lead. If it does not thenat $4.00 to treat 80 gal that will be cheaper. Thats abot 5 cent per gal for upper lube and oct boost.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:45 AM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's just the opinion of an organic chemist, but I think you're being scammed. This product appears to be nothing more than an upper cylinder lubricant, and it you want that go to Wal-Mart and buy a can of Marvel Mystery Oil.Even if it does boost octane, it will only be by a few tenths of a percent.If you want to boost your octane, you need to head out to a paint store or chemical supply house and buy from one to five gallon containers of either toluene or xylene and mix this into your fuel tank at fillup. Here are two formulas for mixing:

Formula #1 - Toluene
R+M/2.........114
Cost...........$2.50/gal
Mixtures with 92 Octane Premium
10%...........94.2 Octane
20%...........96.4 Octane
30%...........98.6 Octane
Notes: Common ingredient in Octane Boosters in a can. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, i.e. from 92 to 92.3. Often costs $3-5 for 12-16 ounces, when it can be purchased for less than $3/gal at chemical supply houses or paint stores.

Formula #2 - Xylene
R+M/2.........117
Cost...........$2.75/gal
Mixtures with 92 Octane Premium
10%...........94.5 Octane
20%...........97.0 Octane
30%...........99.5 Octane
Notes: Similar to Toluene. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, i.e. from 92 to 92.3. Usually mixed with Toluene and advertised as *race formula*.

You won't get any benefits from boosting your octane unless your engine is a high-compression model. Higher octane allows better performance, particularly when knock-sensor equipped vehicles don't retard timing to prevent detonation and instead deliver more power. If you're putting regular gas into an engine designed to run premium, IMHO you're out of your mind, as the damage done to an engine from detonation is not always heard during running. [:@]

Old 04-25-2008, 11:33 AM
madcritter
Road Warrior

Toluene and Xylene dose not Lubricate upper cylinderor inhabit corrosion which I consider important and Duralt does as well as raise the octane 3 to 4 numbers . Which if I go back to using 87 % as required by the manual I'm still a head of the game. Like I said HD fuel additive has been used in my bike all along and at 39000 miles is still strong.

http://ezinearticles.com/?DurAlt-Fue...&id=479245

Quick Reply: Gas and octane booster in the HD