Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Carbs fart cough

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 11:08 AM
Xguy
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Carbs fart cough

I know this subject is been discussed before and I have done my searches, but no direct compairison was found.
OK it's 2005 road king custom, 1300 miles, on the bike, I got true dual rinehart and KN high flow intake filter, that is all I know of.
Sympthoms: Bike would be running fine, and after riding for a while, sometimes when I try to come to a stop and I press the clutch the bike cough/ fart and dies. And the weird think it doesn't happen all the time,
Another one is If I'm stopped at a red light idling for a bit as I pull the gas getting ready to take off, same think cough /fart and dies.
Now please note both situation are when bike is warm/hot, the other thing is the condition is intermittent, I could go on for half an hour in traffic stop and go all the abuse, without nothing going wrong, or if the bike is in a bad mood, it would do it constantly for like 5 minutes and all of the sudden like someone fixed the bike it's fine again and I can stop and go without a problem. I couldn't even simulate the condition to the dealer to see the problem, because the bike would be on a good mood when I take it there.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:09 PM
myglide
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Carbs fart cough

Have you checked for leaks around your intake manifold? With the problem being intermittent, I wouldn't think it is a tuning issue. Your notgiving thethrottle a quick twist when it happens are you? A lot of guys like to do that. If you are I would check the accelerator pump setting. I could be shooting too much gas in when you blip the throttle. I'm just trying to give you things to think about.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Xguy
Tourer

ORIGINAL: myglide

Have you checked for leaks around your intake manifold? With the problem being intermittent, I wouldn't think it is a tuning issue. Your notgiving thethrottle a quick twist when it happens are you? A lot of guys like to do that. If you are I would check the accelerator pump setting. I could be shooting too much gas in when you blip the throttle. I'm just trying to give you things to think about.
I may be giving it a quick twist, ok so accelerator pump setting would be on the check list, but what about when I just let go of the gas coming to a stop ? also intermittent,

Thanks myglide

PS: how do you check/adjust setting on accelerator pump

Old 05-25-2008, 02:26 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Spitting out the carb is a sign of a lean condition or timing retarded.....since you have a crank position sensor we can forget the timing so lets look at the carb. Your having your problem at 0% throttle to 2000 rpm (or just off closed throttle) this area is fueled by the pilot jet so install a 46 or a 48 pilot jet....this will richen the mixture up slightly and get rid of that cough/spitting. If it wants to die on you coming to a stop you might set up the rpms a bit with the throttle stop screw on the right side (where the cables connect).
Good Luck

Old 05-25-2008, 03:38 PM
Xguy
Tourer

Thanks Doc1, a couple of questions:

Idle screw I read somewhere, that if it was too high it would actually causes it cough, so do I need to turn it up or down?

The pilot jet, is it an easy procedure (medium wrencher) to change? and does it act intirmettingly and only when hot?

thanks

Also I would like to add a little history on the bike that might help, When I bought the bike this last january it had only 788 miles since 05, and it was acting very badly because of old fuel in tank, and I took it ot dealer and they clean carbs, tank and chenged one jet. Just fro the record, maybe they missed cleaning something? anything comes to mind?

Old 05-25-2008, 04:34 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Xguy

Thanks Doc1, a couple of questions:

Idle screw I read somewhere, that if it was too high it would actually causes it cough, so do I need to turn it up or down?

The pilot jet, is it an easy procedure (medium wrencher) to change? and does it act intirmettingly and only when hot?

thanks

Also I would like to add a little history on the bike that might help, When I bought the bike this last january it had only 788 miles since 05, and it was acting very badly because of old fuel in tank, and I took it ot dealer and they clean carbs, tank and chenged one jet. Just fro the record, maybe they missed cleaning something? anything comes to mind?
When you talk about the idle screw are you talking about the Idle mixture screw or the idle control at the cables? The mixture screw will effect off idle spitting but you have to realize the pilot jet is what feeds the Idle Mixture fuel circuit....so by changing the pilot jet like I suggested, from a 45 to a 46 or 48, should cure any off throttle problems you have.

The float bowl has to come off the carb and a small, thin, screw driver is needed to get up inside the pilot jet standoff. I have a special pilot jet screw drive so I won't bugger up the jet when removing or installing it.

As far as your dealers work cleaning the carb....who knows what they did.....one thing I see people miss is the air bleeds but if they where clogged it would make a rich condition not a lean one.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:24 PM
Xguy
Tourer

Thanks Doc, no I meant the idle control screw the one to the right of the carb that raise RPM actually, if set high sometime I feel that the carbs farts when I shot it off, and I also read somewhere that it causes back fire, that is why I try to keep it as low as possible , of course with bike idling nicely, and of course I don't have a tach so I go by ear.
I will take it to a wrench and have him change the pilot jet and hope this will cure the problem. will let you know that turns out.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:41 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member

The idle should be 950 to 1050 at operating temperatures, at these settings there should never be a problem with back firing or spitting when shutting down the throttle.
Good luck.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:56 PM
Xguy
Tourer

Well after reading the manual, I think it's gonna be easy for me to change the slow jet, opne question though, how do I know what I have so I can go a step higher, it would be stupid to excahnge a 46 with a 46, and I have done that stupid mistake befoer not knowing what the bike had when I bought it, lol I installed a K&N filter only to find out later that I had a screaming eagle in there , so is there a number engraved on the jet or any other indication of the size?
thanks

Old 05-26-2008, 12:11 AM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member

Yes, there will be a number stamped on the jet. Don't go too big or your gas mileage will fall, if you have a 45 get a 46, if you have the 46 get a 48....no bigger than a 48.

Quick Reply: Carbs fart cough